Chapter 15

Heart, expecting herself to wake up in the evening, almost bolted out of bed when she saw the clock striking midnight. The balcony door had been thrown open and she shivered from the cold air before ducking under the warm blanket. She sucked in a breath when her shoulder brushed against something warm. The afternoon came back to her and she turned slowly to see both her son and her mate sleeping peacefully by her side.

Azriel had one of his arms draped over Pip who had curled up on his chest. His other arm extended over to her side and she had rolled over it when she buried herself under the sheets. She quietly drew closer and, mindful of his hand, leaned over her elbows to watch the two. Her attention immediately went to the shadowsinger's wings and her fascinating with anatomy made it too hard for her to not examine them.

She was just about to poke one when a deep voice vibrated down her back, "You wouldn't want to do that." She closed her eyes and cursed under her breath.

Forcing a smile, she turned to face the spymaster who was simply too close to be appropriate. "I didn't mean to bother you."

"Oh, it's hardly a bother." He smiled charmingly at her. The moonlight kissed his elegant features and it almost took her breath away. "You don't want to touch the wings of an illyrian mate unless you want to be fucked out of your mind."

"Azriel!" She slapped her palm to his mouth. "Pip can hear you." She whisper yelled at him.

He kissed the inside of her palm and she yanked it back. He chuckled and the delicious sound sent shivers down her back but she heard him speak, "He is sleeping. I promise he won't hear anything."

"Alright, Mr. I'm so quiet. Shut up now." She rolled her eyes and slid out of bed to close the windows. "There is a baby in the room who doesn't need to hear your filthy mouth."

"I could put him in my room." He offered and Heart glared at him over her shoulder.

She clasped the window shut and tapped the glass pane for a while, "I haven't.....well, I do understand that you being by Pip's side is good for him." She chose her words carefully. Even in the dark, Azriel's anticipation was evident as he carefully drew up. "I don't...particularly mind you."

Azriel snorted, "You adore me."

"Don't flatter yourself. " She scoffed.

When she climbed back into bed Azriel put Pip down and tucked him in. She sat thinking for a while before going forward, "I'm not going to doubt that you won't treat Pip as your own son. You clearly love him. Even when I'm not watching."

Azriel nodded encouragingly and nervously fiddled with his hands until Heart put her hand in his and gently squeezed. His breaths became heavier and he stared at their joined hands as she continued, "I don't know why I'm going about in circles. I just wanted to say that I will gladly let you be a part of mine and Pip's life."

Azriel didn't speak for a moment but looked between Heart and Pip. "I don't know what I did to deserve you two." He pulled her into an embrace with that and Heart giggled before leaving a peck on the side of his neck.

"Everything you ever did has led to this, Azriel." She sighed. "You deserve this and so much more."

"This is enough." He mumbled against her neck. "I think I might burst with happiness."

She ran her hand through his locks and kissed his cheek. They both barely held their tears back as Azriel pulled her into his lap and she cradled his face in her palms.

Azriel smiled, "I would kiss you but I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to stop at that and Pip is sleeping here."

"That's a good decision." She mumbled and nodded. "If you scar him like- he's waking up." She drew back when Pip frowned in his sleep and kicked the blanket off himself. His little face contorted as he sleeping sat up and looked around himself.

"Pip? Lay down, love." Heart tried to tuck him in again but he whined and threw himself in Azriel's lap. "Rude." Heart mumbled as Azriel pulled him up and cradled him back to sleep. She scoffed and rolled her eyes when her mate teasingly grinned at her. "Whatever." She flipped her back. "He met you like a month ago. I'm still his favourite parent."

"Nope." Azriel clicked his tongue, making the 'p' pop.

"He's just too sleepy." She retorted.

"Or he just likes me better." He said a sing-song voice and Heart narrowed her eyes at him.

"Don't start this with me in the middle of the night." She jabbed a finger at him.

Azriel chuckled and put Pippor under the covers. The little boy rolled onto his stomach and Azriel went silent for a moment before saying, "You sleep like that. On your stomach, I mean. And you both tuck your hands under your stomach."

"Yeah, well, he is my son." Heart shrugged. "We're alike." She brushed her hair back and held them in place with her hand as she tucked her feet under the warm blanket. "And you really need to stop spying on me. Tell your shadows to back off."

"I will. But I will still know a lot about you because of the bond." Azriel pulled her towards him and she wrapped her arms around his neck. The long hair fell over his shoulder as she shifted on the bed and rested her head on his chest.

"I know. I will too." She paused. "It's annoying."

He feigned offence. "Knowing about me is annoying?"

"You meet new people." She muttered with distaste. "I'm against that."

He chuckled and the sound resonated deep in her chest. Kissing the top of her head, he rested his cheek on the top of head. "They're new to you. I don't really meet people who are new to me."

"Same thing." She dismissed his words. "I'm against that as well. You know so many people. But I guess it makes sense, you being so old."

"I'm not old." He said with great offence and a great gasp.

"I can smell the grave dirt on you." She joked.

"I am not old. I would maybe be twenty-six or twenty-seven in mortal years."

"That makes no sense. Mortal years and fae years are the same." She frowned. "They have the same number of days, there is no difference."

"Fae age slower." He argued.

"And? You're still ancient. Mother above, I can't be seen with an old man." She whispered with mock horror.

He started at her through the slits of his eyes before huffing, "Just go to sleep. It's late and you have to cure my nephew."

She giggled a little as he pushed her head towards his chest but laid there quietly for a long time. His own eyelids started fluttering shut and he slipped under the thick cover of sleep just as Heart shifted slowly to press her cold lips against his warm ones in a small peck.