Chapter 19

Pip's nap had been a total of thirty minutes before he decided he needed some sugar to fuel his rampage. He had been nice to his mother who was in pain, but only to her.

As Heart enjoyed her chocolate cake, the father and son tried to negotiate who would have chocolate cake and who had cheesecake.

"Pip you asked for cheesecake." Azriel complained.

The little boy innocently looked at his cake and then at the one in the spymaster's plate. "But now I want that one." He pointed his tiny finger at the chocolate cake.

"Why?" Azriel whined.

"It's better." Pip eyed the cake.

"How do you know? You haven't had it."

"But I want to." Pip turned his large doe eyes at his mother. "You said sharing is good."

Heart nodded, "It is. Why don't you give half of your cake to your father and he will give you half of his."

Azriel nodded, "I'm fine with that."

Pip again contemplated with wide eyes while staring at his cake before saying, "But if I give him all of mine, he has to give me all of his."

"No." Azriel held his cake protectively.

Heart chewed slowly on hers while leaning back on a pillow. "He's not wrong."

"You think this is funny, don't you?" Azriel glared at her and she held back her laugh by taking another spoonful of her cake.

Pip held out his plate. "You can have mine, shadowman."

"But why?" The shadowsinger whined in protest. "I like mine."

Pip nodded enthusiastically, "I like yours too."

Heart snorted and Azriel sighed, "You should like yours."

Pip's face dimmed as he sat down, "Oh."

"No, Pip." Azriel started but was cut off by tears pooling in Pip's eyes. "Oh, couldron! Don't cry." He quickly set his cake aside to pull Pip into his lap. "I'm sorry, you can have my cake." He wiped his tears and kissed his head.

His head snapped back in his mate's direction when he heard her giggle, "What are you laughing about?" He frowned.

She covered her mouth with hand, "Just give him the cake."

"I know." He waited until Pip's eyes dried and gave him both cakes.

Pip sniffed for a while but eventually forgot about crying in favour of the cakes.

Azriel looked at Heart who was shaking her head with a smile, " Why are still laughing?"

She waved an arm dismissively, "Don't fall for his tears. He can cry on command." She squeezed Pip's cheek but he was too occupied with the prospect of consuming two cakes.

Azriel looked at her stunned, "Are you saying he wasn't really upset?"

She shook her head, "Not at all. He just wanted the cake. If he had wanted one so desperately, I would've given mine. He was just being a drama queen."

Azriel was once again faced with the harsh reality that he had not been present when Pip was growing up and had missed a lot of his upbringing. He still needed a lot of time to completely figure out this brilliant child that he had been gifted with who also happened to have the gift of emotional blackmailing.

"Where did he even learn that from?" He wondered and watched Pip finish off his cake and discard the pate before moving on to the next one.

"Me, obviously." Heart scoffed.