Chapter 16

There was a slight headache blooming in her temple but she still tried to focus on her notes. That only made it harder for her to focus so instead, Heart closed the book and stared at her mate and her son who had both been staring at the ceiling for a long time.

Azriel whispered, "Why do dragons have arms though? They don't need them."

Pip wagged his little finger at him, "No, shadow man. They need arms to hug."

"You're right." Azriel nodded earnestly. "They need arms to hug."

"You know what makes me sad, shadow man?" Pip looked at him through thick lashes and Heart leaned back in her chair to enjoy their conversation.

"What?"

"Dragons can't blow the candles on their cakes." Pip seemes heartbroken at the thought and Azriel pouted with him.

"That's terrible. "

"It is."

Heart snorted and they both craned their necks to look at her. She put her arms up defensively. "Keep going." She prodded them on.

"Don't you laugh at me and my one and only son." Azriel narrowed his eyes at her.

"Or what?" She shot back.

A lazy smile spread across his face and she had to forcefully stop herself from shivering at being the target of the way his eyes shamelessly wandered between her face and her hips. "I'll tell you later." He winked at her with the same cheeky grin and averted his eyes.

Heart exhaled softly before burying her face in her book again. Her cheeks were still burning up and she refused to look up from the pages when she heard Pip declare that both of his parents were boring and he wanted to be with his uncle Cassian. Azriel grumbled a complaint but dusted himself off after getting up. Heart heard the soft click of the door locking but refused to acknowledge it. Her fingers felt numb and it felt like all the blood was rushing to her face when she recognized the silent footsteps.

"I hope you're quiter than this when you're in enemy territory." She mumbled with whatever confidence she could muster. Azriel hooked a finger into the cover of the book and took it away from her. She leaned back. "Because, right now, if I was an enemy, I would've sliced you in half."

Azriel cocked an eyebrow, "You've got quiet the tongue on you. Somebody should teach you what to do with it."

Heart copied his smile. "It's a shame that nobody can."

"Oh." A quiet laugh slipped into Azriel's voice. "I'm sure we can arrange that." He circled the table quietly and stopped right behind her.

Heart felt the soft brush of his finger on her shoulder, down her arm, and she didn't dare move. She focused on her breathing as small tingles ran down her body. Warmth spread across her neck as Azriel leaned down to press his lips against her cold skin. Her eyes fluttered shut when his lips travelled over her collarbone and back towards her neck. She sucked in a breath when his teeth grazed over a spot and he stopped. Mouth still warm again her skin, his hand travelled down her other shoulder and cupped her breast.

Heart reached a hand over the back of the chair and held firmly to his bicep. As soon as she turned her mouth to his, he brushed his lips against her. He wanted for a second- enough for her to pull back if she wanted to- but she tilted her face to a side and all of a sudden, his instinct as her mate took over. Everything he had been holding in for so long spilled over. He kissed her exactly like what he was - a man starved.