33. How Long Have We Been In Indiana Jones?

Red and golden flames burned the white-sand beach and lit their rowboat as the sky darkened and the sun blazed beyond the horizon. The smell of grilling filled the air.

Y/N gulped one more mouthful of the piece of meat he had in his hands. Gravy came out of it like crazy, flooding his hands and chin, but he didn't care. He was too hungry. Who would have bet on monsters tasting so good?

"You know, there is such a thing as restraint," Annabeth said.

He took one more bite. "Hmm?"

She rolled her eyes and sighed. "Didn't anyone ever teach you how to eat properly?" As if to set an example, she took a piece of meat, put it in a made-up plate, and cut it delicately with her knife.

"But it's so good," he said. "I mean, seriously, tell me you've ever eaten anything this good."

She sighed once more.

"I knew it," he decided, and his teeth sank into the meat again.

About an hour later, when he finished eating—Annabeth had stopped after just one piece of meat; Neat, more for me, he had thought—he went to lay down against a dead tree trunk, a sailors' shirt as a makeshift blanket—not very useful, right, but better than his torn Half-Blood Camp T-shirt.

Annabeth came to sit next to him, the other sailors' shirt in her hand. As well the wind wasn't blowing anymore, otherwise they would've been freezing dead on that beach.

Slowly, he let his mind wander, his whole body heavy after eating so much.

"Hey, wake up."

Y/N opened his eyes, and the sunlight reflecting on the sand blinded him at once.

After a fashion, he was able to look around. Annabeth stood in front of him, her hair done in a ponytail, her arms crossed.

"You help me?" she said, and she showed the lifeboat.

Next moment, it was back on the water, its makeshift sail catching the wind, going away from that Salamis island with them on board. It took some time before wind rose and the boat gained some speed.

Droplets of salty water jumped and cooled Y/N's red skin. Next few nights weren't going to be comfortable with such sunburn.

"You think we'll find an island by tonight?" he asked.

"No idea," Annabeth told him. "But if we do, I hope it's not like the last."

They exchanged looks, and it was like an unspoken agreement. Better not to count on luck here.

They had wrapped dried pieces of the Great Drakon in the sailors' shirts. When the sun came to its peak, and its light transformed the ocean into a blinding mirror, they ate them.

They had to wait until the sun began to near the horizon for that boring day to stop being boring. Afterward, Y/N would have preferred it remained so.

As he and Annabeth lay in the bottom of the rowboat to protect themselves from the sun beating down on their sides, a drop fell right between his eyes. At first he didn't mind—water droplets sometimes came into the boat when it split the waves. But soon, it wasn't just one, two, or three droplets. It was an outdoor shower, a downpour.

Y/N tried to wipe the water out of his eyes, but it kept falling down onto his face. "Where are those clouds coming from?"

An instant before, the sky had been orange with bluish highlights as the night approached. Now it was gray-black, filled with puffy clouds ready to unleash their biggest load of water on them.