62. The Entrance To The Labyrinth

Y/N walked in the void. His right hand felt a wall as he stepped deeper into the darkness. He was shivering.

Annabeth frowned. Or did she? It was a strange sensation. She wanted to frown, but she felt as if she were outside her body. It could only be a dream, yet she had never had one like this.

She couldn't figure where Y/N was. A tunnel, maybe. He was staring into space, which must mean the light that seemed to come from everywhere and nowhere at the same time was only the dim light of dreams.

A noise echoed; Y/N froze. He turned around, now feeling the wall with his left hand. He seemed scared of losing his hold of the wall. His ring melted into his gold-and-bronze curved sword.

"Who is there?" he called.

A rustle answered him.

He raised the tip of his sword. Annabeth noticed he had closed his eyes to listen more carefully. So he really couldn't see anything in this darkness. Annabeth could see. Yet Y/N attacked the monster before she could even see him in the pale light that allowed her to see only ten feet away.

He slashed horizontally, smashing into a black shape out of her field of vision. A dart came out of nowhere, flying toward his shoulder, but he managed to step aside before it could hit him.

Run! Annabeth wanted to shout, but her voice didn't work in the dream. She tried to grab Y/N's arm, but her hand went through.

He waved his sword blindly before him. A new dart came at him, straight for the eye. He ducked at the last moment, and the dart stuck in the wall.

He leaped forward, and the golden glow of his sword disappeared as the blade sank into the body of the invisible monster.

After a moment, he stepped back, and his sword became a ring again. He felt around for the wall, but it was gone. He cursed something she couldn't catch.

Y/N wiped his face; a dark stream ran down his forehead, nose, and chin. It seemed the monster had managed to hit him, after all.

He started walking into the darkness again, his hands reaching out in front of him. Annabeth wanted to follow him, but something—some kind of invisible wall—stopped her.

The darkness swallowed Y/N.

Annabeth woke up with a start, one hand reaching forward to hold the shoulder of a Y/N who wasn't there.

Inside her cabin, only her brothers and sisters snoring and moving under their blankets disturbed the silence. How could she have dreamed this? No answer to that question. In any case, she needed to calm down; she was drenched in sweat.

Sunlight already poured through the windows. She got out of bed, grabbed her celestial bronze knife, and walked out of the cabin. She had to forget about this; her dreams were just dreams, certainly not premonitions like those of the Big Three's children.

There was a lot of excitement at breakfast.

Apparently, around three in the morning an Aethiopian drakon had been spotted at the borders of camp. The magical boundaries had kept the monster out, but it prowled the hills, looking for weak spots in their defenses, and it didn't seem anxious to go away until Lee Fletcher from Apollo's cabin led a couple of his siblings in pursuit. After a few dozen arrows lodged in the chinks of the drakon's armor, it got the message and withdrew.

Annabeth had beaten a drakon, once. Right in the middle of nowhere, in the Sea of Monsters. Y/N had been there.

"It's still out there," Lee warned during announcements. "Twenty arrows in its hide, and we just made it mad. The thing was thirty feet long and bright green. Its eyes—" He shuddered.