91. The Sacking Of The Eternal City

A/N: I know I said I would take at least two weeks—maybe three—to write this chapter and it's barely been a week and a half, but here it is! Hope you'll enjoy it.

The bridge to Olympus was dissolving. They stepped out of the elevator onto the white marble walkway, and immediately cracks appeared at their feet.

"Jump!" Grover said, which was easy for him since he was part mountain goat.

He sprang to the next slab of stone while theirs tilted sickeningly.

"Gods, I hate heights!" Thalia yelled, grabbing Ethan's hand as they leaped with Percy.

Annabeth was in no shape for jumping.

Y/N gestured for her to climb on his back. "Hang on."

He jumped as the pavement fell, crumbling into dust. For a second he thought they were going to fall right toward New York. His feet dangled in the open air. Then he felt solid ground under his feet, and Ethan and Percy grabbed his T-shirt to make sure he didn't lose his balance.

"Um, thanks," Annabeth muttered, climbing down from his back.

"Don't mention it."

"Keep moving!" Grover said.

They sprinted across the sky bridge as more stones disintegrated and fell into oblivion. They made it to the edge of the mountain just as the final section collapsed.

Annabeth looked back at the elevator, which was now completely out of reach—a polished set of metal doors hanging in space, attached to nothing, six hundred stories above Manhattan.

"We're marooned," she said. "On our own."

"Blah-ha-ha!" Grover said. "The connection between Olympus and America is dissolving. If it fails—"

"The gods won't move on to another country this time," Thalia said. "This will be the end of Olympus. The final end."

They ran through streets. Mansions were burning. Statues had been hacked down. Trees in the parks were blasted to splinters. It looked like someone had attacked the city with a giant weedwhacker.

They followed the winding path toward the palace of the gods. Y/N didn't remember the road being so long. Maybe Kronos was making time go slower, or maybe it was just dread slowing him down. The whole mountaintop was in ruins—so many beautiful buildings and gardens gone.

A few minor gods and nature spirits had tried to stop Kronos. What remained of them was strewn about the road: shattered armor, ripped clothing, swords and spears broken in half.

Somewhere ahead of them, Kronos's voice roared: "Brick by brick! That was my promise. Tear it down BRICK BY BRICK!"

A white marble temple with a gold dome suddenly exploded. The dome shot up like the lid of a teapot and shattered into a billion pieces, raining rubble over the city.

"That was a shrine to Artemis," Thalia grumbled. "He'll pay for that."

They were running under the marble archway with the huge statues of the gods when the entire mountain groaned, rocking sideways like a boat in a storm.

"Look out!" Ethan yelped. The archway crumbled. Y/N looked up in time to see a twenty-ton scowling Ares topple over on them. He and Annabeth would've been flattened, but Thalia shoved them from behind and they landed out of danger.

"Thalia!" Grover cried.

When the dust cleared and the mountain stopped rocking, they found her still alive, but her legs were pinned under the statue.