75. A Battle To Remember

A/N: I know I said at the end of the last chapter that this one was going to be the last for this book, but I changed my mind. I found it too long in the French version, so I'm correcting that here. In my opinion, separating this chapter—the battle—and what'll be the next one—the aftermath of the battle—is better pacing.
Anyway, I think there are already plenty of things going on in this chapter that cutting a part of it won't make it dull.
Hope you enjoy it.
See you next time and happy reading.

Distance was shorter in the Labyrinth. Still, by the time Rachel got them back to Times Square, Y/N felt like he'd run all the way from New Mexico. They climbed out of the Marriott basement and stood on the sidewalk in the bright summer daylight, squinting at the traffic and crowds.

Which seemed less real, New York or the crystal cave where a god had just died?

Percy led the way into an alley, where their footsteps echoed loudly. Then he whistled as loud as he could, seven times.

A minute later, Rachel gasped. "They're beautiful!"

A flock of pegasi descended from the sky, swooping between the skyscrapers. Blackjack was in the lead, followed by six of his white friends.

Blackjack whinnied.

"Yeah," Percy told him. "I'm lucky that way. Listen, we need a ride to camp quick."

Blackjack whinnied again. Another pegasus made a sound very close to a groan. Y/N found it all strange—it would be the first time he'd be flying without transforming. Everybody started saddling up—except Rachel.

"Well," she said, "I guess this is it."

"Thanks, Rachel," Percy said. "We couldn't have done it without you."

"I wouldn't have missed it. I mean except for almost dying, and Pan. . . ." Her voice faltered.

"He said something about your father," Percy said. "What did he mean?"

Rachel twisted the strap of her backpack. "My dad. . . . My dad's job. He's kind of a famous businessman."

"You mean . . . you're rich?"

Y/N facepalmed. How slow on the uptake Percy could be would never stop surprising him.

"Well, yeah," Rachel said.

"So that's how you got the chauffeur to help us? You just said your dad's name and—"

"Yes," Rachel cut off. "Percy . . . my dad's a land developer. He flies all over the world, looking for tracts of undeveloped land." She took a shaky breath. "The wild. He—he buys it. I hate it, but he plows it down and builds ugly subdivisions and shopping centers. And now that I've seen Pan . . . Pan's death—"

"Hey, you can't blame yourself for that," Percy said.

"You don't know the worst of it. I—I don't like to talk about my family. I didn't want you to know. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said anything."

"No," Percy said. "It's cool. Look, Rachel, you did awesome. You led us through the maze. That's the only thing I'm going to judge you on. I don't care what your dad does."

Rachel looked at him gratefully. "Well . . . if you ever feel like hanging out with a mortal again . . . you could call me or something."

"Yeah, I'd like that."

"My number's not in the book, though," she said.

"I've got it."

"Still on your hand? No way."