One

April 30th, 2019

Thanks for the gift, Jane. And for the whole day. Love you a million.

I sat on my bed after I texted my best friend. I was exhausted from the long day. She surprised me first thing this morning, insisting we celebrate my birthday a day early, since I have work the day of. We had a movie date to see Avengers: End Game, for the fifth time I might add. It was the perfect day. I set up my laptop on my bed and decided to watch my comfort movie until bed.

Captain America: Civil War.

Of course. Love you forever. Tell your boyfriend I said hi. ;)

I laughed, of course she'd knew what I'd be watching. I was predictable. And she knew me like the back of her hand. She knew I was obsessed with Bucky Barnes. I couldn't, and didn't, hide it.

I drifted to sleep, fantasizing about what it would be like to really date the one and only, Sargent James Barnes.

*

I woke up and felt off. Why did my bed feel different? So... comfortable? And warm? Then I noticed, there was a body next to me.

I jumped up immediately, ready to scream. Someone broke into my house, into my bed! I backed away, and slammed into a dresser. A dresser? Mine is my closet. I looked around the room, what the hell? This wasn't my room!

The man in my, I mean, the bed sat up groaning. He rubbed his eyes. "Care? What's going on?"

He moved his hands. And I screamed.

"Caroline? Caroline? What's going on? Are you hurt?" Steve fuckin' Rogers, Captain goddamn America was grabbing my shoulders, checking me for injuries.

"I... I'm confused. How am I here? What's happening?"

He stopped looking around and grabbed my face. "Are you okay, sweetheart? Was it another nightmare?"

"I-I don't know." I stuttered. Was I dreaming? What the hell was happening?

There was a banging on the door, Steve yelled for them to come in.

And in came him.

"Steve, the hell is with the screaming?" Bucky walked in, obviously annoyed.

"S-sorry. Nightmare." I explained.

Bucky nodded. "You good now?"

I gulped, nodding back. And with that, the man of my dreams, quite literally now, walked away.

"You wanna talk about it or go back to bed, honey?" Steve asked me, sliding his hand down my arm, rubbing me.

"Um. Back to bed, I think. But I could use some water."

"Okay, I'll be in bed waiting for you." Steve kissed my cheek and got back in bed. I suddenly became super aware of his lack of clothes, wearing just a low hanging pair of sweats. I was overwhelmed with seeing that much of him. It wasn't that he was unattractive, obviously. I was just more of a Team Bucky person.

I walked to the door, worried because I didn't know where anything was. But the kitchen couldn't be too hard to find...

The hallway was pitch black dark. I kept my right hand along the wall, hoping I'd figure out where the hell I was going. I should've just gone to bed with Steve.

I slowly made my way, seeing a faint view of light coming up, please be a kitchen. I didn't even see the wall I ran into until I hit it.

And then I realized it's not a wall. It was a person.

"Damn, you all right there, doll?"

Bucky asked, both arms grabbing and steadying me. His metal arm feeling cool against my bare skin.

"S-sorry. I just needed water, it was dark, I didn't see you."

He nodded, removing his hands from me. He reached over a bit behind me, leaning his body close to me. I could feel the warmth from his body and his breath on my skin. He flipped the light switch, lighting up the hallway.

"Oh. Thanks."

He kept his hand on the switch, his body close to mine. We stayed there for a moment, eyes locked. I took a deep breath and took a huge leap of bravery.

I closed the distance between us, slamming my lips against his.

Bucky's body tensed up for a moment and I felt like I made a mistake.

Until he abruptly pushed me against the wall, his body pressed against mine and he groaned. His tongue entered my mouth and slid against mine. He tasted like mint and faint whiskey. I was in heaven.

As quickly as he kissed me, he quickly pulled away, leaving me gasping. A smile was spread over my face, up until I saw the pure anger on his.

"What the hell, Caroline?!" He hissed, he whispered tone making it obvious he was mad.

"I-I don't- what?"

"You've barely talked to me for weeks and then you pull that shit? You're with Steve, he's my best friend. What the hell!" He started pacing. "The hell am I going to tell him?"

I could see the panic in his eyes. "Bucky, don't. It-it was a mistake. I, uh... I'm upset from the nightmare." Desperately grasping at any explanation.

He scoffed. "Like that's an excuse. That's not what this is and you know it." He stepped towards me, causing me to back into the wall he just had me pinned against. "There's something here."

"Bucky..." I whispered. I felt like my head was spinning. I had no idea what was happening here.

"We can't do this again. Not anymore." Bucky stepped back. "Goodnight Caroline." And he turned and walked away, leaving me alone in the hallway.

I stumbled in the direction I was heading before Bucky startled me. And finally, I found the kitchen. I opened the fridge and grabbed a bottle of water. I took small sips as I tried to figure out what was going on. I don't think dreams are this... realistic. Or last this long. Aren't most dreams a series of flashes? And what the hell did Bucky mean? I sighed while I started walking back to Steve's room, my room?

I walked in the door and he was sitting up in the bed, sketching something on a notepad. He stopped and smiled when he saw me come in. "Hey, sweetheart. How you feelin'?"

"Better, I think. Sorry if I freaked you out." I hesitantly climbed in the bed next to Steve. "Whatcha drawing?"

"Never apologize." He wrapped his left arm around me and easily pulled me close. His warm muscular body instantly helping me relax, I felt... safe. He tilted the notepad so I could see what he was drawing.

It was me.

Me, sitting on a blanket at what looked like a park. There was a picnic basket by me. I looked up at him, tears starting to form in my eyes. I was already so overwhelmed and this was no lie, the most romantic thing I have ever seen.

"It's our first date." Steve explained. He looked nervous. "I was going to give it to you for your birthday tomorrow."

"Steve..."

"I know it's nothing big but I know how you feel about me spending money and I just-"

"It's perfect." I took the notepad from him to get a closer look. I've never thought I was that attractive. Decent, maybe. Not ugly. But the way he drew me, the way he saw me...

That is beautiful.

I leaned over and kissed him. His soft lips and strange contrast to Bucky's a few moments ago. The thought caused a twinge of guilt to rush through me. I don't know what's going on and I definitely don't know what I'm doing.

Steve pulled away, pressing his forehead against mine. "We have training soon. We should probably get ready." I looked at the clock. 5am?!

"Okay." I gulped. Training? The hell am I gonna do?