Six

The silence was screaming.

I didn't know where to begin.

I don't even know where this began. Or how? I knew nothing. But neither man was beginning this conversation so I sighed and stared at my hands while I spoke. "I don't know everything, I-I don't know what to say I just-"

"Do you love him?" Steve interrupted.

"Steve-"

"I don't need to know everything. But I need to know that."

"I don't know, I really don't. I just got here." My voice cracked. I don't think he believes me but it's true. "I don't know what... what other me was doing or how she felt. All I know is I watched movies about you, about this! You weren't real and then I woke up, in your bed." Tears were starting to fall down my face as I begged for him to understand. "I, this current me here, have feelings for you. For both of you. When I went back to my... whatever yesterday, I missed you, I floated around the day and nothing felt real. This feels real, here." I started to sob harder. "I just wish I understood everything."

It was quiet again, the only sound was me crying and sniffling.

"Do you love her?" Steve broke the silence, staring at Bucky.

The ache in my chest pained me as I waited for his answer.

"Yes. I always have. Before- before you two got together." Bucky admitted.

"I think Wanda can help you remember. I don't know, but she's probably our best shot. Or..." Steve paused.

"Or?"

He looked at me, finally. Heartbreak was written all over his face. And Bucky's. I hated this. "Or we can just figure out how to send you back, so you don't come back here."

Ouch. That was harsh, and hurt more than I expected it to. "Is that what you want?"

"I don't know, honestly. But if you don't belong here, you should be where you do belong."

"Steve, I know you're mad but c'mon-" Bucky stood up.

"It has nothing to do with that, Buck. Loki, or other Loki, messed with things and broke the multiverse! What if us keeping her here does too?"

They were staring each other down and I knew this was about more than was being said. I stood up and got in between them. "Let's just talk to Wanda, and the others. And we'll figure this out. But first, I just want to let you both know... my entire life I have never felt more at home than I have here. Nothing has ever felt right to me. Until now. If we figure this out and you want to send me home, that's fine. But I just want that out there."

Bucky reached out and grabbed my hand. "I know what you mean, doll."

Steve stared at us, his eyes focused on Bucky's hand in mine. "Steve?"

"What?"

I reached out, brushing my other hand against his. "I don't want to lose you."

He watched our fingers as they interlocked together. "I don't know if that really matters, Caroline."

The three of us waited after we called Wanda back to the room. She was hesitant. And I couldn't blame her. We explained what we were asking of her, but she didn't answer.

"Do you think you can do it?" Steve asked her, his arms crossed in his Captain America attitude. There was no emotion here, just a goal.

Wanda stared at me before she answered. "I feel lied to."

"Wanda-"

She raised her hand, interrupting me. "I know. You don't need to explain, I know. But I feel lied to. You didn't tell me anything. And I understand that this you isn't my best friend." Wanda sighed. "If this gives me a chance at her back, I'll do it. I'll do whatever."

I let out a breath of relief. "Wanda, thank you."

Wanda and Steve went to go discuss when they would do this. It didn't feel like a conversation I got a say in, so I stayed behind and went to the very silent Bucky.

"Are you okay?"

Bucky scoffed. "Ya know, I guess it doesn't matter anymore so might as well say it... I'm terrified you're going to remember everything and just choose Steve again. This different you, felt different to me. And I thought- I thought you might be choosing me." His voice was weak as he finished.

I searched my head for the right thing to say. I don't know why the other me chose Steve. What happened, how we got here. Nothing. But I did know... "you know how I said you are in movies in my universe?" Bucky nodded. "You're the most popular. Everyone is obsessed with Bucky Barnes."

"Really?" His eyes shot up, looking at me.

"Mhm, you've never even had your own movie but there's so much merch. I have a blanket with your face on it, actually."

He grinned at my embarrassing confession. "And Steve?"

"He's popular too. But I don't sleep with his face every night."

Bucky nodded, his face with a huge grin. "It's a small victory... but I'll take it."