Eight

Wanda left us alone. Neither man would look me in the eye. I wasn't sure I blamed them. How do I explain what I know now? How do I not break both of their hearts in the process of telling them the truth?

"I had feelings for you both, originally. In different ways. Steve, you pushed me to do more, work harder. To rely on my own strength and not my abilities. And Bucky... you did the opposite. You helped convince me that I didn't have to be afraid of it. That I can embrace the fire because it's part of who I am." I inhaled and exhaled slowly. "When my family died... I went looking for Bucky. But Steve, you let me in. You kept me safe. You told me you loved me. You asked me to be yours and I agreed."

I watched as they both flinched, knowing the full story. I continued to break their hearts. "Then, Bucky killed Gunther. He killed the man who destroyed me and I told Bucky I loved him. He kissed me. And then he ran away. We didn't talk about it after. Until it happened again."

We could all feel the anger and heartbreak filling the room. But I needed to get it all out. "I continued to fall, fall in love with both of you. And I know it was wrong. Bucky and I, we kept trying to stop. And we did. For the last year. Until this... thing happened and it was the other me. And I didn't know. In my universe, I have a crush on Bucky Barnes. But he's not real. So I didn't... the feelings weren't the same as they are here."

I stopped talking and the longer the silence the more my heart broke. This would be it. This would be when I lose them both.

Steve was the one to speak first, though he didn't look at either of us. "Do you love her?"

"Since the moment I saw her." Bucky replied. Staring at his best friend. I hoped I wouldn't be the reason that ended. I couldn't be the reason. I blushed, thinking of the day he just brought up.

"Okay." Was all Steve replied.

"Okay?" I questioned.

Steve paused, slowly looking me in the face. "We have other things to worry about. I need to process. We can deal with this after." And he walked out.

Bucky and I looked at each other, and I knew what he was thinking. Worried for Steve. Worried for our futures with Steve, if there was one. He stepped to me.

"Caroline."

"Bucky."

"I love you."

"I-" he interrupted my reply with his lips roughly pressing against mine. We've had many kisses before but this? This felt different. New. Right.

And maybe it was. Maybe now that it was out in the open, things could be different. I'd lose Steve... but I could have Bucky for real now. Both versions of me were thrilled. I lost myself in the kiss. Letting my arms wrap tightly around him as his hands wandered my body. We enjoyed this moment, no rush, no fear. Just us.