Chapter Two

In hindsight, coming here may have been a mistake. Ele was following a piece of absent memory that held no substance. Just... A feeling. One that stemmed from darkness but didn't scare her. One that gnawed at her soul but didn't tear her apart. 

Now, in the room where she first locked eyes with the monster she came to adore, she had a harrowing realization... She brought it back to the castle. Back to where its ploy began to ruin the royal family. A task it succeeded at. 

According to whispers, the throne sat empty. 

The crowned Prince was deemed unworthy and too unstable for the throne, but his presence on council gave them leverage amongst the vampires and dhampir. And since the other children of royal blood were too young, Wylda remained queen regent until they came of age. But the powers that came with that title were minuscule and nothing compared to the influence of her late husband. 

Ele waited for her mate to return. Perhaps also for some sign he'd... Forgive her? 

'You've done nothing wrong.' The voices skirted words of assurance across her mind. 

The same voices that coaxed her out of the safe dwelling Kaanan purposefully placed her in. For her safety. For their safety. After all, he was nothing without her-

Ele shook her head. She needed a distraction.

Something on the nightstand stuck out to her. A set of keys that she once saw on the king's desk the first time she was in his office. Except now they were unguarded; practically daring her to find out what they unlocked. Whispers all around her sparked curiosity. They were telling her to go deep, deep down into the castle to find the door they unlocked. Two metal keys on a quaint golden ring had secrets of their own. 

Whether it was boredom or the urge to rebel, it didn't matter. She needed answers to all the unknowns that were unraveling before her eyes. And it began with these keys. She swung the keyring around her index finger, humming internally to the dull sounds of so much doubt that plagued her. 

"And where do you think you're going?"

Caught. Not even three turns from the room she just left.

Armida chuckled, wiping her hands on the dirty apron she wore. "Lovely to see you, child." Her eyes wavered to the keys and she voiced her concern, "I don't know what you hope to find down there, or what your intentions are. It's no fun place."

The inner demons were right... The keys were for the dungeons. Pity this woman gave the secret away.

This woman singlehandedly helped me through dark times. Ele felt the need to remind the voices that they were not the ones to cast judgment. Especially on the people she cared for.

"I know you'll go anyways." Armida waved a hand in the air, dismissing her warning that fell on deaf ears. Kids would be kids. "Be guarded about what you find down there. I've heard rumors, but only that. I don't believe a single whisper I hear until I see it with my own eyes."

They departed with a nod and a knowing look. It had been months, yet the older woman acted like nothing had happened. Like no time had passed. In fact, many of the faces she saw were familiar staff. Why didn't they flee after seeing the monster their prince became?

Answers. That's what she was on the hunt for, she had to remind herself. 

When she arrived at the intended destination without another interruption, especially by someone who would sooner report her than let her see out her exploration, she applauded herself. Sneaking around had never been one of her top attributes- But the urge was still there.