Chapter Eight

"What do you mean you can't find her? Search again." Kaanan hushed orders at the servant who had now been tasked with tracking down his mate. For the second time, they had interrupted the impromptu council meeting that was set to discuss the war the satyroids demanded.

It was hard for Kaanan to focus with this maid whispering in his ear.

"Kaanan, is there something more important than the war on our horizons that requires your attention?" The councilman that represented the shifters spoke up, his name escaping the newest member.

Kaanan hesitated, torn between his responsibilities and the fear gnawing at him. "Ye– No," he stammered, his voice cracking with frustration, "my apologies for the interruption." 

Councilman Ryheart, the one primarily responsible for saving Kaanan from trial, adjusted in his seat and looked around the room. "We are in the former prince's home, if there are troubles that need his attention we must be understanding. Syvil, would you suggest we host the next meeting at your residence?"

"No, that's not–"

"Then let us endeavor to be patient," Ryheart interjected gently before locking onto Kaanan. "Now, have you invited your mate to join us today? Her perspective as a faenix would be invaluable."

Without even having to ask, he knew the answer she'd provide. "Eledorah has little interest in serving the kingdom from within a room. Her heart lies with her people and preserving their way of life. That being said, I do believe we need to send troops to their border–"

Syvil, however, interrupted with an ashen expression. "You haven't heard, have you? We assumed you knew..."

Ryheart's wearied sigh echoed in the room as he rubbed his temples. "It has indeed been a long and trying day for all of us. Many things have transpired. Kaanan, there is no easy way to convey this but the council called for this meeting hastily because of dire news. We must secure our remaining cities and fortify them before the imminent satyroid assault. Unbeknownst to us, they have been amassing troops in numbers beyond our reckoning. Sol Pago, tragically, has fallen."

The words landed like a heavy blow, and Kaanan rose abruptly from his chair, his heart sinking with the weight of the revelation. "Wait... What are you saying?"

"Last night, Sol Pago was attacked. Since they lack proper militia... They fell. We sent a garrison to check for survivors but none were recovered. The satyroids displayed their cruelty by showcasing the corpses along multiple borders. That's why we've convened urgently. If they are capable of this, we can't predict what they'll do next. Only to prepare with the little time we have."

"It took... Their deaths..." Kaanan shook his head and pushed away from the table, anguish mixed with his features. "I need to go find my mate. If news of this reached her, she may be halfway to Sol Pago by now."

Syvil stood, a note of urgency in his voice. "We require your presence to make crucial decisions!"

Pausing on his way to the door, Kaanan grappled with the risks and declared his decision. "You have my unwavering support, as well as that of the Queen consort. Act swiftly to make them pay for their heinous acts. I shall join the cause once I know my mate is safe." With that, he left the council chamber; heart heavy with grief and resolve.

At this, the councilmen found little argument and were comfortable continuing the meeting without his presence. What he thought to be a meeting called due to a mere threat was much more than he could ever conceive. 

All the faenixes... Wiped from existence. 

No, not all.

The sound of his footfalls echoing in the hallway made the servants glance back and scoot over to hug the walls as he passed. Fury bound, still grasping a fleeting hope that made his face soften while his pace remained resolute.