Chapter Sixteen

"I told you this would happen." With spears pointed at each vital point of their bodies, Roman thought it best to emphasize his earlier prediction. 

Upon arriving at the borders of Sacrupala, Ele advised the dragonborn to stay back while she made introductions, thinking that the satyroids would find their presence to be intimidating. The humble city of mud and stone loomed in the foreground. Memories flooded her mind as they drew nearer... Memories of when she'd been brought here as a prisoner. 

When the crudely formed wooden gates came into view, the warriors descended. Figures emerged from the shadows, dropping down from boulders along the path.

Roman's hand instinctively went to the hilt of his sword until Ele nudged him and raised her hands, eyeing him to do the same. The predicament they found themselves in was anticipated by all parties and that's why Anja and her brother took up watch in the treetops, ready to shift and bite the heads off of every satyroid present if they made a wrong move. 

"We request an audience with Oxin." Her voice cut through the tension. 

"Our King told us you'd come for revenge with the council's army in your wake. Where are they now?" One of the satyroids spoke up, his eyes darting behind them, ever-weary.

"I would not seek revenge against you for something the council devised. They are my true enemies and, as they say, the enemies of my enemy..." She dropped her hands, meeting the eyes of every satyroid present. "We know that it was made to look like you caused all that destruction. That you killed all the faenixes and burned down their homes. But you saved them, didn't you? Tell me that there are survivors here."

The pleaful demand stirred a collection of grunts. One by one, their spears fell to their sides. Some bore the horns of their great ancestors while others lost the feature in their bloodline over time. Each stood tall and proud, their hooves carrying them with poise. 

Without a word, Eledorah followed them into the city with Roman close behind. As they passed through the gates of Sacrupala, she took a deep breath. The city hummed with activity and yet, beneath the surface, an undercurrent of distrust followed them around like a dark cloud. Everything was much the same as she remembered it; with the same dirt streets and wooden huts lining the pathways. She kept an eye out for her people and saw none as they approached the castle. 

"Are you alright?" Roman noticed how she tensed once they entered the castle. Although he marveled at how differently the satyroids lived compared to the grandiose life the vampires chose, he kept glancing back at her.

"I'm fine. It's just... I never thought I'd be back here under these circumstances."

"We're in this together, remember that." 

As they stepped into the throne room of the satyroid's palace, Eledorah's breath caught in their throat. The air was thick with a heady mix of earthy scents and the faint aroma of wood smoke, evoking memories she had tried to bury. The room itself was spacious yet unadorned, the walls lined with rough-hewn stone and tapestries depicting their ancient satyroid rulers. And seated on the throne, the very spitting image of his late father, was Oxin. 

He arose to his full height, looming on his hooves ready to strike Ele where she stood. All because of this girl...

"You ruined my family." Oxin snarled.

"You cut my off my wings."

"Which you still have. You killed my brother!"

"And you killed my friend! We can stand here all day, arguing for retribution, or we could take arms against those we have been the cause of it from the start."