Chapter Ten

"This isn't you, Ele." Although torn between fear and conviction, he knew it in his heart that she never thought this about him. "Something is making you say these things. Please come back to me. Whether it's these woods or some kind of darker magic, fight. Fight through their voices. They do not control you."

She scoffed, "Control? Tell me what you know about control. You lost all semblence of the word when I walked into your life. One look at the mute faenix held in your cousin's clutches and you thought that was your ticket to power. Well, you had it all wrong. I will be your downfall. I will be the reason your surrender when darkness calls. And I'll smile as you fall on your knees and beg me to love you."

Despite the convincing facade, Roman clung to memories of her radiant glow and the warmth that poured from soul. He took a step forward, challenging the illusion with unwavering determination. For just a moment, her gaze wavered, a flicker of doubt passing through her eyes.

"Ele, I need you to listen to me. You were never my salvation or my demise. That credit belongs solely to my upbringing and how I choose to live my life. If these words stem from some..." He craned his neck back to blink away the doubt-filled tears brimming along the edges of his waterline. "Some buried place within your heart, then we can discuss it after you've returned to yourself. For right now, just come back to me."

The mirage strained against his resolve, attempting to deepen the rift it had created. As tension mounted, the enchanted forest seemed to respond to the strength of their connection. Even the nymphs sensed it and, at last, intervened. Their hands gestured in intricate patterns, unraveling the false narrative woven around her body.

With a gasp, Ele blinked, her eyes clearing as if awakening from a dream.

"Roman, I..." She began, voice laden with regret.

He silenced her by rushing up to encompass her in his arms, head resting atop hers. "Shh, it wasn't you. It's okay. I knew it wasn't you."

Silent sobs raked through her body. The only sign was her trembling form in his arms. So he held her tightly, vowing to not let go until it subsided. Apologies spewed out in between her gasps for air and the only solace she found was his hushed consolations. He caressed her hair away from her face until they both felt grounded in reality. Curious, his fingertips traced the contours of her wings, acknowledging that which made her a faenix.

"They're... So soft..." Exactly how he imagined them to be.

Each stroke sent a tremor through her delicate structure; eluding to the wings being more sensitive than she let on. He marveled at their velvety texture as he rubbed a feather between his fingers. The red hues reminded him of blood– The very rich, intoxicating nourishment that flowed through her veins.

As his hand glided over the wings to brush down their fibers he sensed the heartbeat of her wings; a rhythm in sync with her own heart. Gone were the threads of doubt that had been sewn into her after that deceptive exchange. Untangled with each stroke. 

From the towering trees emerged the terranymphs responsible for the mirage. While they seemed rather pleased with themselves, Roman held no amusement for their games. 

One nymph, distinguishable by an air of authority, stepped forward. In a melodic voice that resonated with the whispers of the wind, she addressed the faenix and vampire.

"If the pair of you are to go on, then your bond must be unbreakable. You have faced the trial of illusion and emerged stronger than before. There will be more tests of your resolution to come. One cannot hope to succeed in this alone."

Ele looked up at Roman, her eyes reflecting gratitude. He loosened his embrace but kept her close, silently acknowledging the profound experience they had shared.