Chapter twenty-four: Tenth and 1/2 second

CHAPTER twenty-four: 10th and ½ second

“There! There! This is what I’m waiting for! CLOSENESS! NOT AWKWARDNESS!”

                Rhainne and Ian sprung apart. Too late did they realize that Rhainne just sprained her ankle, and she went to almost collapsing on the ground. Ian immediately caught her before she fell, putting one arm of hers around his shoulder to lean on her weight against his.

                “What just happened?,” Direk Kernel asked in shock, nearing, “I thought you were hugging, and…?”

                “Obviously, I won’t just hug anyone unless needed to, you know,” Ian snapped, “Can’t you see she’s hurt? You forcibly let her wear heels, when you know she’s too ignorant how to wear it, in the first place.”

                “She was wearing it right awhile ago.”

                But Ian didn’t care to hear more of his excuses. He went past the director, bringing the weak Rhainne along with him, then stopped short. Infront of him, waiting by the rooftop’s entrance, were Matt and Joanne. Matt’s gaze stayed long on him for awhile, calm but with strong, evident coldness behind it, before sweeping towards Rhainne, where it so suddenly, softened and warmed.

                “Let me bring her,” he said.

                Ian’s grip on Rhainne tightened, “Don’t worry. I could do it myself.”

                “She’s my childhood friend. You may as well know it.”

                 Ian’s mouth quirked in slight annoyance, “What brought you here anyway?”

                “Direk told us to come.”

                He raised an eyebrow.

                “Matt will be the one acting for the empty major role we’ve been badly looking for, for months,” came the director’s answer from behind, “The role that will partner him with Rhainne.”

                Ian whipped his head to the director in an instant, “What?!”

                “In case you’ve not noticed, she’s the guy Joanne was speaking about before—the guy who has been friends with Rhainne for 13 years that it’s impossible to not put chemistry between them! He also went to a lot of acting classes and even performed a lot, and based on my judgment with his one on one ‘little audition’ for me the other day, I think he’s okay for the role.”

                “And, so what? Why bring him here?”

                “Ian, what’s with your temper right now?,” Joanne butt in, “Aren’t you suppose to welcome us here?”

                “Excuse me, Joanne, but I don’t really know this guy as much as you do, so I have every right to ask what he’s doing here.”

                “But it doesn’t mean that you need to snap out, or look at me…us…like that.”

                “Did I just snap out, or look at you…what?! What do you mean by, look at you ‘like that’?”

Joanne rolled her eyes, while Matt continued glaring at Ian secretly beneath his calm and gentlemanly face. Ian, in return, was becoming more and more annoyed and angered, even as he positioned Rhainne—who now had her eyes closed—more comfortably on his shoulder.