Chapter Nineteen: Clues and Chemistry

CHAPTER NINETEEN

        Li-…iam?,” She managed with a crack; too late to bitethe hasty word off. Yeah, she’s so stupid. Very stupid. (Damn. She shouldn’t act like this in the first place…as though she likes it.) 

She shivered. Ian stepped back, his arm now away from her, the heat between them, dropping. She felt her stomach lurch with this sudden change.

“Who’s Liam?,” he asked in confusion, an eyebrow raised.

So, he doesn’t know, she concluded—with what seems like…sadly.

                She bit her lip nervously.

“A-ah…i-it’s j-just, i-if w-we’re t-talking a-about t-the same t-thing…a-and,” she forced herself to stop stammering, “…if you truly know me as the girl in pigtails with a volleyball balloon, then you must be…Liam?.”

He didn’t reply.

So. There’s this unnerving silence again.

But still. She waited, her fingers—though holding the balloon—was also, absently playing with her muddy shirt. She twisted this edge, then that, then this, then that again…until she semiconsciously looked up and had her eyes absently playing and teasing with her emotions. Her eyes mocked her with how it darted emotively back and forth to the very small mole on his right cheek—barely visible, but imperfectly beautiful on his fair skin. And…

“What are you looking at? Is there a dirt on my cheek?”

She stopped. What the hell is she doing?

Heat (due to embarrassment) raised up to her cheeks. She forced it all down. And was successful. Sudden arrogance returned back to her veins.

“Dirt?!,” she echoed back sarcastically, surprised by her sudden change of mood, “Yeah, you are surely full of dirt…not just on your cheek, but everywhere on you! You are full of dirt. Really, really full of dirt!,” she glared straight into his eyes, “Because you are really, really, REALLY a full-of-dirt person.” 

She pushed the balloon back to him, “I don’t need this anymore!...How dare you use this damn balloon to play with me! Really, who do you think you are?,” she gritted her teeth, “A kid would not always be a kid! And SO…so,” damn. She forgot what to say next.

“SO…S-SO…s-s-So…er,” she scratched her head, then trailed off.

Ian stared at her with a bored are-you-really-stupid look.

She hissed, then lifted her chin high up, “Okay! So whether you are Liam or not, I don’t care! In the first place, Liam is not even a true person! You. Are. So stupid to be fooled by me!”

Then she waited, expecting him to fight back, but then, to her disgust, he just gave her the same unnerving calm, jerk look. She gritted her teeth, and glared more at him fumingly, before storming away, and out into the angry, plummeting, and thundering raindrops of the vaster territory of this park—a territory much vaster than this stupid, narrow area beneath this stupid mango tree.

Ian seriously couldn’t get nor understand this girl’s head. Maybe, there’s something wrong in there, or probably, even something more. Wow. Just look how funny all of these had turned out. From being so…from being so…you know, awhile ago. Agh, never mind those things…

So the thing is, he just asked her if there’s some dirt on his cheek and then…she stormed off? Wow, too much of her being that girl. (Okay, and now, so what if she’s that girl? His life wouldn’t just change because of her, right? Because he—what—saved her balloon, and…now, stop.)