Chapter 6

The bed was so fluffy. The blankets were so soft, and everything smelled like Killian.

Naomi couldn't believe how different one night could change her life, change her entire perspective. She felt different.

The sun was just coming over the horizon, casting some light through the window in her bedroom. She took in the trees and the early morning fog.

She wondered if Killian would mind if she went to the living room to read a book. She mulled it over a bit before deciding he wouldn't care too much. She took the soft blanket off of her bed, draping it over her shoulders like a cape.

She wasn't expecting him to be awake. He was sitting on the couch, a laptop on his legs.

"You're an early riser," he said, smiling slightly. He patted the space next to him.

She picked a book off the shelf before sitting next to him. She draped the blanket over her lap, but there was still plenty left so she offered the end to Killian.

He chuckled, taking it from her and draping it over his own lap. It was the first time hearing the sound and Naomi felt an immediate smile at her lips. She ducked her head to hide it, opening the book up.

It was quite a bit of time later before he spoke again.

"I've got to go to training in a bit, and then I will probably go to the office to work. I wish I could spend today with you, but I took a day yesterday, and I really can't," he said sincerely.

Naomi felt panic surge through her body. She didn't want to be away from him that long. She could feel the blood rush to her ears and she sucked in a deep, shaky breath.

"Naomi," he called softly. "What's the matter? I won't know unless you tell me."

He held out his open palm, and she hesitantly placed her own hand on top. Her mind eased almost immediately.

She swallowed. "I don't want to be away from you."

She peeked up at him through her lashes.

"Of course you can come with me if you'd like," he offered. "There's just going to be others around, and I understand it's a lot to process right now."

Killian watched her think it over.

"You know I'd never let anything happen to you," he added.

"I'll go," she decided.

He slowly ran his thumb over the back of her hand before pulling away.

"I'm glad you decided that. I would've missed hanging out with you." He watched her light up a bit. "How about breakfast?"

---

Killian made sure she was bundled up as he sat her on the lone pair of bleachers that overlooked the sparring field.

"You can yell for me or Mickie if you need something, or come down to us. Alright?"

She nodded. He draped the blanket over her lap.

"I'm so proud of you," he said. And he meant it. He recognized that she was out of her element, but she was making the effort, for him, and that meant the world.

She warmed inside and out from his praise.

Naomi watched Killian walk out on the field. He looked authoritative, capturing the attention of every single person. It was kind of attractive, and the new feeling was odd.

She was nervous about what she was going to see. Everyone seemed really friendly. They didn't stare too long, some even waved and smiled at her. However, it was called the sparring field, and she hoped there wouldn't be too much violence.

He commanded the field. Everyone was lined up perfectly and he weaved in and out the people like it was a dance. Naomi was intrigued. It wasn't what she was expecting. They ran a lot of laps really fast, and they paired up for hand-to-hand command but it was mostly getting the strokes perfected versus hitting to be hitting.

"Why do you train?" Naomi inquired curiously as she walked with Killian to the main house.

"We don't expect a fight from another pack. We want to be prepared of course, but mostly, wolves have a lot of energy that needs to be released. If you noticed, a lot of the people today were really young. They're just getting use to that intense amount of energy, and it can be hard for them to focus on other tasks, like school."

She nodded, trailing behind him as he entered the house. It was huge, probably double the size of the group home. There were some ladies hanging out in the main room off to the right. Killian said the kids hang out in the theater after school, and he also showed her the massive kitchen.

He was guiding her up to the office when a group of rowdy boys came tearing through the hallway. It sounded like a herd of elephants, and scared Naomi so bad that she pressed herself against Killian's back, her little hands fisting his shirt.

Killian growled, "You boys know better to run in here."

"Sorry, Alpha," one said, bowing his head. "We heard the cooks made cupcakes."

Naomi relaxed and stepped back, unable to control the small giggle that escaped her lips.

She caught Killian's gaze, and he smiled, before turning back to the group.

"Next time, don't run through here like a stampede. You're going to hurt someone."

They apologized and he released them, before turning to face Naomi.

He had hardly seen her smile, and the little laugh she made was like music to his ears. He was determined to hear it again.

"You okay?" he asked her.

She nodded, and once more he had to surpress the desire to reach out to her. He want to run his hand along her face, her hair, hold her hand. Anything.

"Come on. I'll show you my office." 

Confide In MeOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara