Chapter 7

Killian told her to sit wherever she'd like, so Naomi dragged her chair so it was as close to his as possible.

He chuckled but said nothing. He started his work and she watched him curiously for a bit before she turned to the book she brought.

She was doing her best to hold back from asking questions. She didn't want to annoy him.

But, Killian knew exactly what she needed.

"You can ask me anything," he said softly, brown eyes finding hers.

She hesitated. He placed the back of his hand flat on the desk, and she slowly put hers on top. She had always hated physical touch, but touching him cleared her head. It made her feel calm, normal even.

He didn't make any move to adjust his hand. He didn't even wiggle his fingers. He was very patient and that meant a lot to her.

"How do you know what to do?" she asked finally.

Killian hummed. "I guess I saw my father do it. I worked under him when he was still alive."

He glanced at her, seeing her still watching him. She was a curious little thing.

"Go on. Ask another. I won't bite."

She shifted in her seat, pulling the sleeves of her hoodie over her hands.

"Do you like doing it?"

"This part not so much. I like interacting with the pack, and being able to see them grow. Usually, I don't have too much to do in here, but I have been doing double until Mickie gets inducted next week. My father's beta and I haven't been getting along."

"Oh," she mumbled. "Is there something I can do to help?"

He grinned, "You're a sweetheart, you know that?"

She blushed, and Killian thought she was gorgeous.

"I would love your help. You have a lot to learn though, so how about when I get Mickie in here next week, I show you the ropes, too?"

She nodded, seeming pleased with herself. She returned to her book, and all was quiet.

"Killian."

The man at the door was older, with kind features and tired wrinkles. He looked sad.

Killian stood, walking to the front of the desk to block Naomi from sight.

"Beta," he greeted formally.

"I wanted to meet your mate, and to take over work for you. You should be spending time with her, not in here."

Killian was a bit surprised, but he realized for the first time that he was no longer dealing with a surge of negative emotions like he usually was. He felt clear headed.

He soaked in the man who was like a father to him. Yes, Joe had been hard on him, but he was the only one left to be in that role.

"This is Naomi." He said, moving to reveal the timid girl behind him.

"I'm Joe," he said with a smile.

Killian was happy Joe stayed by the door. He could feel Naomi's nerves at the new male presence, and he didn't need her being anymore uncomfortable.

"If you'll give us a minute to clear out of here, then the office is your," Killian said.

Joe nodded, "I'll be down the hall."

He turned to his mate, "Want to get out of here?"

She nodded, gathering her book and following him out the door.

Killian stopped the man from walking past them. He held out his hand, "Thanks, Joe."

Joe gave him a firm shake and a nod.

---

It was after dinner. Killian and Naomi were sitting on the couch together back home. She had her book and he was watching the television.

"Are you settling okay?" he asked genuinely. "Do you need anything?"

She shifted in her seat. He realized that was her nervous habit when she was holding something back. He hid his grin. She was so cute.

"Naomi," he murmured, encouraging her to open up.

"I didn't work for the group home, not really," she whispered, blue eyes peeking up at him. "I didn't have anywhere to go, and no money, and Kate said she'd let me stay if I worked."

His confusion morphed into anger but he held it back.

"So you weren't paid?"

She shook her head no.

"What kind of work did you have to do?"

She scooted closer, like she needed the comfort. Her small body fit against his perfectly.

"Everything," she said it so softly with so much pain that his heart lurched. She explained that she cleaned every room, did all the laundry, made all the beds, helped with meals and bedtime.

"And if you didn't do everything you were asked?"

She swallowed, "Kate said that she was treating me better than the real world." 

He swallowed his anger. "Naomi, you realize that that is-"

"Don't say the word please," she squeezed her eyes shut, facing a lifetime of pain of her own.

She leaned into him, the first tear falling onto her cheek. He draped his arm over the back of the couch, wanting desperately to wrap his arm around her shaking frame.

"I didn't have any other choice," she whispered, tears falling faster.

"I know, I know. It's okay now," he soothed.

She reached for his hand that was hovering over her shoulder, pulling it down so he had it wrapped around her.

He didn't want to feel giddy over this, but he did. It was so fast, yet the trust was strong.

He wrapped his arm snugger, and she tucked into his chest.

She had never felt so safe and cared for before. He only did what she asked him to, accepted her flaws and fears. He was a true gift.

She needed that cry. It had been so long where she had felt anything but numbness or fear.

His thumb made circles on her arm, and for the first time in her entire life, someone's touch comforted her.

"It's going to be alright," he whispered, and she truly believed him.

She was so content. Killian slowly moved his hand from her arm to her hair.

"Doing okay?" he mumbled.

She nodded. She liked the feeling of him playing with her hair. It was so comforting that her eyes slowly closed.