Chapter 13

Naomi hated leaving Killian's side. It made her really nervous to be apart from him.

She was helping set up the festival that was happening tomorrow. Killian had pretty much handed her the reins, and it had been a lot of fun, but now there were other people involved, and it was getting overwhelming.

Killian cupped her cheeks, "You can do this, sweetheart. I just have to meet with Mickie, it'll take twenty minutes max. You're so busy you won't even know I am gone."

"Yes I will," she pouted.

He chuckled, kissing her softly, before his features got serious. "If you start to get anxious, just remember you are the luna, you're in charge, and you don't take shit from anybody. I'll be right back, promise."

She nodded, and he gave her one final kiss. 

Naomi shifted uncomfortably. She felt like she was in a room full of people naked. But if her Killian believed in her then she would try.

She continued setting out some tables. The cloths would go on first thing in the morning. Once that was done, she decided to check on the kitchen to see if they needed help with the pies.

She stood anxiously by the door, gathering her courage to speak up. The room was hustling.

"Can I help?" she asked meekly, certain they wouldn't hear her.

"Luna!" someone exclaimed. "Come in here. We could use another set of hands."

They each introduced themselves before she was handed a peeler and a basket of apples.

"You and Alpha make a great team," the lady next to her said. She was chopping the peeled apples. "Not only is this good for the McAllister family, we are all excited to be able to do something as a pack."

Naomi gave an uncertain smile.

"Some of us still eat dinner together, but they used to do special pack dinners once a month. I know Alpha struggled to fulfill some of those traditions, they held so many memories for him."

She peeled for nearly half an hour before she had to move onto her next task.

"I know you'll be busy tomorrow, but we have nearly a hundred pies to carry out to the field if you can lend us a hand."

Naomi agreed, waving goodbye to the sweet ladies she headed back outside.

Killian was in the field discussing something with a tall man that held a clipboard.

She hesitated, but he called her over.

"This is Ron. He's a pack member that owns an ice cream shop in town. He's been working on a truck, so we agreed that tomorrow could be his test run."

Naomi gave a polite smile, stepping closer to Kill.

"I was telling Alpha that I will be willing to donate a certain amount of my profit tomorrow. John is a good friend of mine."

"Thanks again." They shook hands. Killian snaked his hand around her waist, turning her towards him.

"That was way longer than twenty minutes," she mumbled.

He grinned, "Alright, I'm guilty. It went over. You doing okay?"

She nodded. "I got the tables ready and helped with the pies in the kitchen."

"That's fantastic, sweetheart. I'm so proud of you for stepping out of your comfort zone." He kissed her gently. "We just need to inventory for all the games and stuff?"

She took in a shaky breath, anticipating all of the people tomorrow, "And set up bright and early."

"I'm running the 5k," he said.

"You are?"

"Yeah, I'm going to win," he grinned.

She giggled, "I don't think that would be fair, Kill. Besides, you have to work."

He huffed playfully, pressing her lips to her cheek.

---

"You've done a great job, princess. Just relax and enjoy it," Killian said low in her ear. She was pressed securely to her side.

"It's a lot of people," she mumbled.

"I know. I know," he reassured. "But I'm not going to leave your side today." He kissed her forehead.

The festival kicked off with the race. They had a lot of participants and a lot of people cheering them on.

Then the festivities started. There was pie, ice-cream, games with prizes. There were people everywhere.

Naomi and Killian walked through, greeting everyone they saw. It had been so long since there had been an event like this. It was a great way to bring old friends together.

"Alpha, will you play with me?" one sweet little boy asked, his arms full of bean bags for corn hole.

"I don't know - I only play games I can win. I saw you play against your brother, I don't think I can beat that," he teased, taking a set of the bags. He was like a magnet as more kids came their way.

Naomi felt her heart flutter. Seeing her mate surrounded by kids, and he was so doting and playful. She had never seen anything like it.

Killian looked up, feeling her stare. He smiled, tossing her a wink.

---

"What was that look for?" he asked, handing her a bowl of ice cream. She stared at it a bit confused. "What? Have you never had it?"

"A long time ago. Why is it green?"

"It's mint chocolate chip. That's my favorite flavor. Do you want something else?"

She giggled and shook her head. "That look was because I have never seen you act like that. You would make a great dad." She said it without thought and they both paused.

He never assumed he would have a mate, let alone a child. Yet the more he stared at the beautiful girl in front of him, the more he realized that adding to their little family was what he wanted, eventually.

"Do you want kids?" he took a spoonful of their shared ice cream.

"I've never given it any thought," she whispered.

"Me either," he admitted. "I do want some eventually, but I am happy focusing on ourselves right now."

She agreed, a small smile crinkling her features. "How many do you want?"

He smiled, too. He felt beyond happy in this moment with her.

He gave a hum, like he had to think on it, but the answer came immediately. "Two boys, one girl."

She laughed, "For someone who hasn't thought about it, that was fast."

He took her hand, tangling their fingers together. He let the conversation die out as he looked around, surrounded by friends and family. Everything was right where it was supposed to be.