Chapter 12

12.21.2021

"Ministry Seeks Educational Reform Dolores Umbridge Appointed Frist-Ever "High Inquisitor" In a surprise move last night the Ministry of Magic passed a new legislation-, "

"Look Hermione I don't mean to be rude, but can you get to the point?" I asked, the trio had woken me up by bursting through my office doors, after last night's ice cream party I had decided to crash in my office, opting for a few more minutes of sleep over comfort.

"It means" Hermione stretched, "that Professor Umbridge now has the power to fire, other Professors, and she is second only to Dumbledore, and even that's a stretch."

I groaned and throw myself back into the pillow I had brought with me.

"I knew she was too quiet- I'll get to work after breakfast," I mumbled closing my eyes,

"Er- Professor Jackson?" Hermione said hesitantly, "It's almost first block," my eyes shot open and I jerked up,

"Styx!" I cursed throwing off the blanket and hurrying to the bathroom to get ready quickly.

"So, Dolores," I said conversationally we sat across from each other reviewing the papers of the day, "Why did I have to hear about your promotion, from a student?" She froze before lowering her tea, what was with British folk and their tea?

"I assume you mean my position as the High Inquisitor, I assure you that you will have the chance to be present to all of the classes and interviews I conduct, as well as any rules that I choose to inflict," I peered at her for a moment before nodding, and going back to the blue cookies' mom had sent from home.

The first class with Umbridge was charms, and I've got to say that it went smoother than I'd excepted, of course, she tried to dig up dirt, asking Alicia what Flitwick was like, but the girl didn't have a bad word to say about him.

The next class was with Trelawney, I was nervous, I had managed to keep my distance from her up until now, Rachel was great and all but Trelawney reminded me more of the mummy in the big house than my colorful friend. That mummy creeped me out. As we stepped into the class I looked around, sharing a grimace with the rest of the class before turning back to Trelawney, she looked nervous. Seeing Trelawney's discomfort Dolores jumps right in dragging a seat to the front. Surpressing a groan I step in, taking the chair from her.

"Let me get that for you," I said quickly placing it a comfortable distance from Trelawney and grabbing one for me as well. 

Trelawney watched Dolores take a seat grudgenly before turning back to the class.

"We shall be continuing our study of prophetic dreams today, divide into pairs, please and interpret each other's latest nighttime vision with the aid of the Oracle," I cringed 'nighttime vision'? Yeah, I had too many of those. 

Dolores' hands gripped the sides of her seat tightly, looking like she wanted to move disprately but after one poorly concelead glance towards me she smoothed out her skirt and picked up her pen. Taking notes, her eyes followed Terlawney like a hawk, I was amazed that she was even able to take notes like that. I let out a breathy laugh and leaned back in my seat, looking over the class. 

 It was a normal elective, some there for the easy grade, some there because they got stuck there and then others who genially seemed to enjoy it. It was peaceful for a moment, then Dolores had to go and ruin it with another coughing fit of hers.  She's really got to get that fixed.

"So. You've been in this post how long, exactly?" She asked curtly, I looked at her, confused, before I relieazed Trelawney had made her way back to us. She glanced at me quickly before grinding out the number.

"Quite a period. I assume Professor Dumbledore appointed you?" Dolores asked and Trelawney nodded with a quick 'that's right'

"Same," I snorted, leaning back in my chair again. Trelawney's hunched figure straightened a bit. Dolores cast a glance at me before shuffling papers on her clipboard. I wanted to snap that clipboard in half. I wonder- how much force would it take to snap on in half? Would it snap or would it just bend?

"I'd like you to make a prediction for me," Dolores said sharply drawing my attention again

"The Inner Eye does not See upon command!" Trelawney said

"I see," Dolores said, making another note,

"I – but- but,"

"She's right you know," I whispered to Dolores, trying not the draw the attention of the class, which of course was too late, but I could still try.

Both women turned to me, staring at me, I looked between the two of them, clearing my throat uncertainly, "I-I've had some experience with prophecies," I shrugged, "It's not like a palm reading, or a dream vision, they're bigger than that, and often they only present themselves about times of distress,"

I leaned closer to Dolores, whispering so only she could hear me, "Why don't you ask her about something she's actively teaching?"

She glanced at me once before clearing her throat, "Alright then, what about a teacup reading?" 

Howdy yall! It's been a while! So here's my latest update- I believe it was supposed to be up yesterday buuuut I got my day's mixed up. I'll do a double update sometime next month- I specifically designed it so we would end the year with exactly 15 chapters sooo I'm kinda stuck on that idea 😋

Anyways I hope yall are have a great Winter Break! Stay safe and take care!

Don't forget to add to your reading lists, comment, vote and follow! 

See you tomorrow!🦇