Chapter 5: Breakfast in Bed

When I woke up in the morning I thought it was still night. My room was still dark and everything was quiet and still. Stray hairs stuck to my face.

      I must have cried in my sleep.

      I make myself sit up and ring the bell. Almost immediately Lieve pops out from the hidden door in the wall. Behind her comes Yeona. They stand side by side and curtsy before running to comfort me.

      I hug them both.

      I can't remember the last time I was hugged.

      Lieve pulls out a kerchief and wipes the tears from my face. While Yeona grabs extra pillows and blankets from the closet. I didn't even notice Ximena come in and take her usual place at the door. Lieve and Yeona fuss with all of the pillows and blankets. Suddenly Letti bursts in carrying a tray. There was a bottle that looked like it was filled with muddy water, five mugs, fruits, breads, cheeses, eggs, meats, and other dishes I don't know the names of.

      "I thought you might be hungry," Letti says laying the tray in my lap. "I hope you don't mind, but I brought enough cups for the rest of us," Letti continues sitting on my bed and beginning to pour our drinks.

      "I am glad to have company, and I would feel rude not asking you to join me," I tell them truthfully. Lieve and Yeona sit on either side of me and take drinks from Letti. "Ximena, you will sit with us won't you," I ask slightly starting her.

      "I-if you insist, Th-Thana," she keeps her eyes low, but I can see them start to water.

      Ximena walks slowly and sit down softly like she doesn't want to wrinkle the bedding. Letti hands Ximena her mug. Ximena holds the mug so gently as if she is afraid she will break it. She doesn't drink it she just stairs at it in disbelief.

      "So what is it like in Sylvain," Letti asks.

      I don't think she meant to tear at that wound. They might not even know why I am here.

      I was going to answer, but tears welled up in my eyes.

      "I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry. Please, please, please forgive me. Forget I even asked. I wasn't thinking. I didn't even question why you came here with his majesty the Prince and not your own party," Letti throws herself at my feet.

      "It is alright I forgive you, Letti. I do not think you knew what you were doing. So, how could I fault you for something you did not know you were doing."

      She sits up and I can see her eyes and cheeks are red.

      "Do you know why I came here," I ask turning to took at all of them.

      They shake their heads.

      "I came here because Sylvain is no more. I am all that is left of Sylvain."

      They all look at me shocked.

      "Some day I might tell you of my lands and what happened to them, but I need time," I continue.

      Still shocked they nod their heads.

      "Now, let us talk of a more up lifting topic," I declare in a forced joyful tone.

      "Is it true you what they say," Letti asked me as if I would what the servants were gossiping about, "that his majesty the prince ordered the dinning hall cleared and had dinner moved for just the two of you into another smaller room and that he went on a walk with you in the gardens."