Chapter 8: From Different Worlds

It wasn't long after I met the royals from Wylan that dinner was announced and we all filled it to eat. A place at the head of the table was left open for the King. The Queen joined us taking her seat to the left of the open one.

      I sat next to the Queen and found that Kallistê is sitting across from me. On one side of her was Drazhan and on the other Laurent. Starry eyed Nesta sat next to Laurent. Lilith sat with her kingdom farther down the table. Lyssa sat at another table with the other Ladies Maids.

      Once we had all found our seats foot-men suddenly appeared and held out platters with our meal.

      Lamb, my favorite.

      While everyone else was making small talk I was focused on eating my food. I could make out bits and pieces of others conversations, but cared little to remember them.

      Although nearly all of it was foreign to me Lisha had some delicious food.

      As we progressed through dinner I noticed many people sneaking glances at me. Some of curiosity, most were of disgust. I couldn't figure out why they would look at me that way. After all how would they know that I am a selfish, cowardly leach.

      I locked eyes with Drazhan; still wondering why I was getting such looks. That is when I realized what was getting me those looks.

      I was eating with just my knife and hands like we did at home.

      I was so stressed out that I forgot they eat differently here.

      Trying to hide my very flushed face I picked up my silver sticks. For the rest of dinner I fumbled with these foreign tools and pinned my eyes on my food.

      Dessert at least brought an air of familiarity.

      We had candied rose petals with a deviled robin's egg in the middle.

      I could remember my governess having a robin's egg brought in for me to open for my birthday.

      I never did get one without a yoke.

     I never got one with two yokes, either, although I never expected to.

*   *   *

      It had started to rain when we all retired to our rooms. I sat in the dark for hours starting out my window. My mind was somewhere past the horizon.

      Sneaking into the kitchens bear-foot sniffing out breakfast before the sun rose. Hiding behind my mother's skirts the first time I left the castle. Playing with the kids from the traveling tents. Learning to ride and shoot. Getting my first horse and hawk.

      Those times feel so far way.

      I was little then and knew not of the burden I carried.

      I was more concerned about skipping lessons and exploring.

      I miss those days.

      What I would not give to go back to those days, or to be Nesta; who still has time before the world makes itself known to her.

      As I sat staring through the window my mind wandered back to the grove.

      No, I can't go now. How would I even find my way there?