Chapter 12: Gone But Not Forgotten

Laurent walks me back to the stairs. He turns to leave, but I grab his wrist.

      "Laurent?"

      "Yes?"

      "Do you know somewhere where we might talk undisturbed?"

      "I just might."

      Laurent's sly smirk has recovered from the shock. He looks down at our hands, and I realize that I'm still holding his wrist. I let go quickly.

      "It's this way," Laurent jesters.

      We walk through the Great Hall and Laurent opens yet another hidden door in the wall. Inside is a spiraling stair case. This passage is different from the other one I went through. There were windows on the north wall. After about three flights of stairs we stop and Laurent opens a normal door.

      "It was the old library," he explains.

      The room is small. The shelves are old and the books are older. There are even scrolls on the back wall.

      Laurent pulls off the cover of a lounge and draws up a chair for himself.

      "No one will bother us here," Laurent is smiling now.

      "I wanted to ask..."

      "Go ahead."

      "How did you earn those medals?"

      "Why do you want your own medals?"

      "You know what I mean."

      "This one," he says pointing to a white and gold stripe, "was for securing Zephyr's eastern boarders."

      "Did you really?"

      "Yes, I earned all of my medals. I would never wear them if I did not earn them," he is more serious than I have ever heard him before.

      "I'm sorry I did not mean to imply that you would. It is just that..."

      "I am a young heir."

      "Yes," I admit, a little embarrassed with myself. "What about this one," I say pointing to one of his valor medals.

      "That one I earned for getting Drazhan and Malach out of southwest Aranav Ayla and back north to southern Lisha through enemy territory."

      "Who is Malach?"

      "Your brother never told you about Malach?"

      Why would my brother have told me about Malach? Oh, right the lie.

       "He didn't have time."

       It is not entirely a lie. My brother left before he could tell me about Malach. That is if my brother would have ever even met Malach.

      "I'm sorry." This Laurent is different. He is serious and compassionate. "Malach is, was, Drazhan's little brother. Kallistê was originally betrothed to Malach, but after," Laurent pauses and collects himself before continuing. "After Malach died, Drazhan was officially recognized and Kallistê became betrothed to Drazhan."

      "I had no idea."

      "Fair is fair. I told you something personal about me. Now you tell me something about you."

      I am beginning to think that the cool jest full tone is a defense mechanism.

      "What do you want to know?"

      "Why do you wear Drazhan's colors?"

      "I don't know. I suppose it is because I don't have any of my own clothes."

      "Why not?"

      "I had to leave home rather abruptly."

      "Why?"

      Laurent has leaned in intently.

      "More than likely I will tell you one day, but not now it is too soon."

      "I understand." Laurent checks his pocket watch. "It's about the time we should probably head back. We wouldn't want people talking."

      We sneak back down and part ways at the stairs. By the time I get back to my room lunch is set on the short table by the fireplace.