CHAPTER 4

He was still a few meters away when I decided to mightily throw the ball back, aimed at his face, just to make sure I wasn't hallucinating. But someone else stepped in the line of fire and everyone who saw gasped and shrieked as the ball hit Athena on the side of her face and stumbled.

"Shit! I'm sorry!" I blurted in sheer shock, still immobilized as she was suddenly surrounded by people, blocking my view.

I felt someone grab my arm and whirled me around. Gella was furious. "What is wrong with you?"

"Uhm...I-"

"Stop taking your frustration out on everyone around you, Jazz. You're better than this," she stressed and I cringed.

Athena was whisked away with almost everyone in tow, leaving me dumbstruck. Of course, they had the reason to be pissed off. Athena was an ace player and the first round of the girls' basketball game would be in a few days. If anything happened to her, the team would surely suffer.

Also, I didn't see him anywhere. Which just further confirmed my delusions.

I tried calling Zoey, but she wasn't picking up her phone. I didn't bother calling on Geo either. He had a lot on his plate, being a Berkeley Student Officer and committee member for the Sports Fest. Still, I didn't want to trouble him or anyone. I could handle this on my own. I should handle this on my own. Gella was right, I shouldn't be taking out my misery on the people around me.

"Nice aim," Zach praised and I scowled at him. I had not noticed he was there all this time. "Relax, she'll live through it." As if to make me feel better, he put an arm around my shoulder.

"I'm such a terrible person," I said, rubbing my face with my bare hands as though the action would undo what I did.

"No, you're not."

"I didn't mean to hurt her."

"I know."

"I think I'm going crazy. I'm seeing," him... But I went against saying that so, "...things."

He tugged me closer. "You're just under a lot of stress. Come on, I'll treat you for lunch."

We were almost at the exit of the covered courts when we met Kori, bringing a rather huge lunch box. I could have sworn she glared at me but when I blinked, she was all sweet and smiling at Zach.

"Hi, I was wondering if you'd want to share lunch with me. I overestimated making a bento."

My eyebrows shot to my hairline and I coughed in an attempt to smother the chuckle bubbling in my chest. I didn't know much about Kori since she's in senior year but I knew most Reagan girls watched their diet. And judging by the size of her authentic Japanese lunch box wrapped in a cloth and all, it could feed a team. Zach was also known for his big appetite. He was the reason why I also liked to eat a lot.

I surreptitiously made a space between me and Zach because I didn't want her to get the wrong idea. "Uhm...I think I'm having-"

Only, he latched on to my shoulder and pulled me back to his side. "Thanks for the offer, Kori, but I promised my best friend we'll eat together," he said, already leading me out. "But the guys would love that, absolutely," he added over his shoulder and motioned to the far side of the court where the other members of the Athletics Team were just dispersing for lunch.

"You're right. I'm not a terrible person. You are." I stepped aside so I could playfully punch him in the arm the moment we were out of earshot.

"Aww, you really are an Amazon, aren't you?" he hissed at this, rubbing his arm and I just laughed. "I just don't want to give her false hopes, is all."