Outtake

I was browsing through my Notes application to check if I can already delete some and came across this.

I originally planned an alternating POV for Rematch. But figured it would be best told through Justine's perspective.

Anyway, here's what happened to Jarlin before coming home :)

======

"Looks like a great deal." Samuel nodded approvingly after reading the portfolio of the university offering Jarlin the athletic scholarship. They were all in the dining table when Jarlin broke the news and his dad was too elated that they immediately asked for details.

Vivian pursed her lips for a few seconds. "It is," she breathed out after a while, as if she tried hard to look for loophole in the offer or anything negative about the school but failed.

Even for Jarlin, the offer was too good to be true. Apparently, the scholarship was inclusive of dorm accommodation or a car, whichever his preference would be, for the duration of his college life. The university itself has impeccable credibility—consistently producing top-notchers in different fields who would later on become big names in various industries. It was the same for their athletic team, particularly the basketball team who has won numerous, if not consecutive championship games in the collegeate competitions.

"But are you sure you want this? Your cousins are in Davao. This university is in Manila," his mother was saying, in an attempt to sway him into staying. Jarlin knew there was more to what she was letting on.

Jarlin kept his face impassive. "I don't need to decide right away. I can ponder on this some more," he offered thinking that the time was more for his parents' benefit than his. He then excused himself. Though on his way up the staircas, he could still hear the  conversation between his parents.

"What's the difference if he got into UCLA? He's still going to live by himself. Besides, tuition is a lot cheaper in the Philippines."

"Yes, but I thought he'd want to take up law if he doesn't get into Dukes or—"

"Biang," he said calming her down, calling her by her Filipino nickname. "I know the thought of our son being away terrifies you. It scares me too. But we have to give him some credit. He'd been a good child."

"I know. It's just...he's our only child."

She sure had separation issues, Jarlin thought to himself sadly as he headed up to his room. He couldn't blame her though. It was partly his doing when he ran off into the night shortly after moving to the US, desperately wanting to go back home to be with his friends in the Philippines. The local policeman had found him and had taken him in while thet waited for the Trance couple to pick up their runaway child. His mother had never taken her eyes off him then. Witnessing the terrible worry and trauma his disappearance had caused his parents, Jarlin didn't want to put them through the same ordeal again. That's why he had been obedient, followed their decisions, agreed with terms without fully understanding the reason. Just so he could earn their trust again.

Prior to speaking with his parents, Jarlin had wanted to take the opportunity because deep inside, he knew that as a student athlete who belonged to Class C rankings, he didn't stand a chance in the ivy league universities in America. Receiving an offer from his homeland, although originally not in his plans, could be the best he could get. His parents knew the same. So he had initially thought he would easily gain his parents approval.

So now that he'd taken part in the conversation, he was thrown into a dilemma—staying to fulfill his parents' dream for him or leaving to achieve his dream for himself.

"What's your plan?" Zach asked him the next day. The news about Jarlin had hit the fan and everyone's talking about it amd congratulating him.

"Dunno man," Jarlin sighed heavily, wary of the two week deadline that Coach Norman gave him which was about to expire.