CHAPTER 12

The night that Jarlin finally replied and we agreed on a place and time to meet, I didn't get a decent sleep. I was so freakin' nervous! I wanted to ask Zoey to come with me but she was still working on the video to be presented on the Opening Ceremonies so I didn't want to bother her.

I then asked Zach but he just laughed at me. Said he didn't want to play chaperone especially to Jarlin and me. We had already caused him a lot of trouble, he added.

So with my heart on my throat, I waited at the public basketball court near their condominium building. That was early Saturday morning.

"Sorry, I'm late," he greeted. "I overslept."

I shrugged nonchalantly, pretending that this meeting wasn't a big deal. "No probs. Nice kicks," I commented, noting his Jordan shoes and a strangely familiar blue and white jersey.

"Thanks. You look good yourself," he said while he was taking out the ball from his duffel bag.

We had agreed to play basketball. That considerably limited the choices for my attire. Even if I wanted to look good and wear a little make-up, I still had to be in my jerseys and Nikes and knee supporters.

He breathed. "So, how do you wanna do this?"

I rolled my eyes at him. He had become cocky somehow. In a good way. "If you're still waiting for me to admit it, fine. I'm still recovering from my knee injury."

He began dribbling again. "Yeah, I read in your very first post on Facebook. ACL and MCL. That's gonna be tough."

I sniffed and went for nonchalance. "Well, I'm a tough girl." He couldn't be the only one feeling cocky.

"I know," he mused with a smile. "So, one question and answer for every basket, huh?"

"Yep. And because you're considerably taller and with longer reach, I am humbly requesting for a handicap match."

Jarlin grinned. "Okay. I'll let you shoot freely. No defense."

"How considerate of you," I muttered with a scowl. "But thanks."

"You do know we can talk about this over breakfast or coffee instead," he suggested.

I made a noncommittal noise in my throat. I didn't plan anything that would resemble a date. And breakfast or coffee was very much along that line. It would be awkward and uncomfortable. So, no. Besides, he said he only wanted us to talk and gave me free reign on where, when and what we'd do other than have a conversation. I didn't want him to have any weird ideas. Hell, I didn't want to have weird ideas either.

Basketball wasn't awkward for both of us. So.

Another toss coin and this time, he had the first shot. Which he made even when I was standing right in front of him.

"What the hell?" I snapped at him because I had not assumed my defensive post yet.

He grinned. "Do you have a boyfriend?"

The question caught me off-guard. "Huh? Wha-N-No, I don't."

"Good." He went after the ball, passed it to me gently and, true to his words, stayed under the basket.

I gathered my thoughts and dribbled my way to the free-throw lane. I flicked my wrist. Swish. I wasn't able to hide my smile for that before I realized he was nodding in approval. "Have you been here since freshman college?"

"Yes." He picked up the ball and dribbled again while I tailed him around, my eyes on the ball. "Are you seeing anyone right now?"

"You haven't even made a-" as I was pointing that out, he released the ball and it went in.