CHAPTER 13

By the time the Sport Fest had begun, Jarlin and I were in an awkward limbo between friends and more than friends. In a matter of days. I insisted that we get to know each other better since it was going to be a first for me. He was adamant that we could do it while we're exclusively dating. We didn't get to decide on that yet.

Sadly, Jarlin also had practices in preparation for the inter-collegiate basketball games among several universities in Metro Manila. Realizing that it was in conflict with the Sports Fest, I didn't bother inviting him. He didn't protest.

So imagine my shock when I saw him strolling towards me before the Finals against St. Cecille. Athena was clinging to his arm like a vine and she was beaming like the noonday sun, it hurt my eyes.

Athena flashed her teeth at me before she skippity-hopped into the Greek Halls' covered courts along with the countless guests and spectators who came to witness the game between Reagan Amazons and St. Cellue Lady Crushers.

"What are you doing here?" I hissed, blatant about my displease when Jarlin approached me.

His smile disappeared. "I thought you'd be glad that I came to see you play."

"I don't need a distraction."

"Ouch. A distraction? Can't I be an inspiration instead?"

"Oh sure. You're obviously an inspiration to my team especially to Athena."

"Do I sense some jealousy?" He was obviously teasing me.

"No. Why would I be jealous?" I snorted.

"Then why are you so mad? You're the one who didn't invite me," he pointed out.

"Because you told me you were..." I exhaled long and deep. Why was I even feeling this? As far as I could remember, Jarlin and I weren't an item yet. And seeing him with another girl told me we weren't going to be anytime soon. "Nevermind." I turned my heel and headed towards the covered court at the Greek Halls.

He easily fell into step beside me. "Practice ended early today. Also, Athena invited me ahead of time. I agreed to go because I thought it would take a some time before I could get you to talk to me. I was just keeping my end of the promise. It's the only way I could watch you play."

He had a point. But it still pissed me off somehow. "I didn't ask for your explanation."

"I know," he sighed. "I just wanted to reassure you that Athena is not a threat. She's like...an energetic little sister craving for attention. I'm not interested in her. I think I had clarified that with her enough because all we ever talked about was you from the time she mentioned that she was your roommate-"

I stopped and faced him. I didn't have time to listen to him blab on or ask about what Athena shared about me. I didn't care anymore. "What are you getting at, Trance?"

He stepped closer. "I'm trying to make you understand that marinating in jealousy is an ugly feeling that wouldn't go away unless an explanation has been offered."

I remained impassive. It seemed like he was asking me for something. However, I couldn't recall anything that warranted my clarification. "Do I owe you an explanation?"

"Do I have to worry about my flatmate when it comes to you?" he asked back. When I didn't comment on that because I was still busy reeling my emotions in, he inched closer so that the other people wouldn't bump into us. "Well?"

My forehead furrowed. What had Zach got to do with this anyway? "Zach and I are friends," I said.

"Good." He tilted my chin as his lips descended to mine. "Good luck on the game. I'd be cheering for you."

Okay. So...whatever he did to me was like a shot of pure adrenaline rush. Knowing that he was watching didn't bother me either. Even when he was literally sitting behind our team's bench with the Anderson twins and Geo.

The drumlines and the cheering of the crowd thundered inside the hall as if there was also a competition between the crowds.

St. Cecille came very prepared for the match. That or the Reagan Amazons were having an unlucky day of all days because three of my teammates were in foul trouble. Two already fouled out. Including Athena. The score was tied at 53-55 in the favor of the opposing team.

"Marthens," Coach Lima called me with a sigh, seemingly unsure of the decision. Perhaps if he had other options, he wouldn't pick me at all. But then he tapped my shoulder and smiled confidently. "You're up."

I nodded, stood up and walked towards my teammates to get ready for the inbound. In the other games that we played in a span of three days, this would be the first time I was brought in to help secure the win. During the elimination and semifinal rounds, Amazon's bench only went in the game when we were ahead by a lot.

I shook my hands to release the tension on my fingers as the referee passed the ball to me for the inbound. Since all Lady Crushers were already on our side of the court for defense, getting the ball to Gella was easy. Setting up the play was the challenging part.

The plan was to pass the ball to Jackie as she was our best shooter on the court. The other team knew that and immediately double-teamed her. It was an expected reaction. What they didn't know was that Darla was equally good beyond the arc. So I passed the ball to her and she positioned for a three.

The noise died as if someone turned the volume down as we watched the ball's trajectory. The direction was spot on. But the force with which Darla threw it was a little too strong. I knew that even before the ball hit the back rim and bounced off.

St. Cecille crowd roared in triumph. Even their players were already celebrating.

I jumped as high as I could for the rebound seeing that there were still three seconds left on the game clock. And as soon as my hands got hold of it, I immediately put up the shot to beat the time. Somebody stepped on the spot where I was about to land. A whistle was blown, then a sudden cheering on our side followed by a collective gasp as I tumbled on the floor, a shooting pain on my knee.

I remained lying on the floor, tears blurring my eyes as I cradled my right knee that suffered the impact. The officials and everyone on my team crowded me, worry etched on their faces.

"Are you okay?" they all asked in unison.

Though I was biting my lip, I managed to nod.

"We can ask Gella to sub you for the-" Coach suggested and I vehemently shook my head.

Maybe at first I had been terrified by the thought of failing at something that I was passionate about. Frankly speaking, I was at the brink of letting basketball go when I got injured. But being able to play again at a crucial game like this reminded me of my hard work, the hours and effort I put in to be exceptional at this sport. I realized it would take more than an injury to make me give up on basketball.

It was Athena who extended her hand and helped me up. "You can do it, Ate," she whispered, tapping my back.

The crowd applauded when I limped to the free throw area. Most of them were on their feet. I caught a glimpse of Zoey, a hand on her mouth; Geo was beside her trying to keep her calm; Zach was gripping the railings that separated the players' bench from the bleachers; Jarlin had his arms crossed over his chest, his face grim but his gaze softened when our eyes met and he nodded at me.

I positioned myself and the referee passed the ball to me. The game clock only had a second left. If I made the shot, we'd win by a measly point. If I didn't, I would send the team to overtime which was not an option considering that we have lost our ace players due to early foul trouble.

Suddenly, I felt like the weight of my team's hope to keep the title this year was on my shoulders.

I closed my eyes for a few seconds to tune out everything so I could focus. When I opened my eyes, it was just me and the ring. I dribbled the ball three times and positioned the ball on the top of my head. Then I flicked my wrist.

---

Posted on 5 April 2015, Sunday