5

Jim stays with you that night and a police officer comes to stay with you for about a week. You act as normal as possible during that time. You do get questioned but you act like the scared young woman you are to try and sway their investigation. At last the day comes that you can leave. You pack your backpack and get it in the car before packing a bag of clothes. You'd need to stop at a clothing store for more black clothes.

"Y/N!" Jim calls, catching you by surprise.

"H-Hey Jim!" You tell him with a smile.

"I brought you some beef jerky. Figured it would be good for the road," He explains, holding up a bag.

"Oh! Thanks!" You tell him. "Just put it in the front seat."

"Sure," He says, walking to the front of the car. "Want me to put it in your bag?"

"No thanks! Just leave it on the passenger seat!" You call out to him, loading another bag before slamming the trunk closed.

"What's in here anyway?" He asks, your blood running cold as you hurry to the front of the car.

"Feminine products and other snacks," You insist, your heart racing as he stares at it a few moments longer.

"Alright," He smiles, closing the passenger side door.

You sigh in relief, thankful he hadn't pried further. How were you going to explain a knife, a mask, and a photo of the Fifty State Nightmare? You smile at him and lean against the car, taking another look at the cabin.

"You could stay if you wanted," He tells you gently. "You've visited every state."

"I know, but there's still more to discover. Some small towns. I'm thinking of visiting haunted places yet. Maybe I'll meet some people doing a paranormal show," You tell him with a grin.

"I couldn't do that. I've seen too many things in my life," He says with a shake of his head. "Still, be careful. You never know......"

"I'll be fine. They've probably moved on. What are the chances they end up the same places I do?" You tell him.

"You're not them are you?" He asks suddenly, causing you to freeze.

"The hell kind of question is that?" You growl at him.

"Shit! I'm sorry Y/N! It just slipped!" He panics, realizing what he said. "I didn't mean it. I swear!"

"Look, I've got to get on the road," You tell him, pushing off the car and going to the driver's side.

"Y/N! Please!" He pleads, stepping towards you.

Suddenly the sound of gurgling reached your ears and you turn around, your eyes wide to see a scalpel shoved deep into Jim's throat. His eyes are wide before he falls forward, hitting the car and sliding off to collapse on the ground. Your eyes are wide and your body trembles as you turn around, screaming and struggling when someone suddenly lunges at you. Someone in a black and blue mask wrestles on the ground with you, your knee coming up to hit him in his Crown Jewels. He yelps and you shove him off, struggling to get into the car and grab your knife. You slam the door when his hand tries to grab you, smirking at his cry of pain. You manage to grab your knife, hitting the man with your door and sending him sprawling to the ground.

You straddle his hips and raise your knife, attempting to slam it into your his before a black snake like thing wraps around your wrist. Next thing you know you're being dragged into the trees. You cry and struggle, clutching desperately at the trunks of trees and roots. Your heart races when you're suddenly lifted into the air, your eyes wide on the creature before you. You two 'stare' at one another before you lift up and slice your knife through his tendrils, falling a few feet to the ground. You scramble to your feet and grab your knife before running through the woods. You needed to get to your car and get out of here! You yelp when you're suddenly slammed to the ground again, throwing your head back and hearing a satisfying crunch.

You shove yourself up and scramble to your feet, stumbling through the trees and back to your cabin. You dodge the man in the blue mask and rush to your car. Your fingers fumble with the keys as you get them into the ignition, your heart racing as you slam on the gas petal and go into reverse. You grunt when your car hits something, not stopping as you sharply turn to get yourself turned around. You shove the stick-shift into drive and peel out of the driveway. You glance in the mirror as the tall creature suddenly appears, the car lurching over tree roots as you drive down the path back to the main road. Your eyes narrow when a monochrome looking man appears in front of your car, slamming all the way down on the gas petal.

He just barely dodges your car. Suddenly you're lurching forward and you slam against the steering wheel as the car comes to a sudden stop. You curse and desperately slam on the gas petal, trying to shake free if whatever had your car. Suddenly, tendrils slam in through the car window, one wrapping around your throat. You gasp and claw at the appendage as your car jerks to a stop. The driver door opens and the appendage releases you as several pairs of arms drag you out of the car. You grasp a shard of glass from your broken window and slam it into any flesh you can reach, the arms releasing you before the tendrils wrap around you. You curse and struggle as the glass is forced from your hands.

Hard pants leave your lips as you're held in the air, your eyes darting around as you stare wide eyed at all the creatures around you. A few hold their wounds as they follow the being holding you through the woods. Your eyes are wide as you try to jerk and struggle, but to no avail. You opt to look around at the creatures surrounding you, trying to figure out what it was they wanted to do with you.