In defence

"Her plant had a new company of those little greens called weeds.

Which everyone discarded calling them to impede.

Yet, unlike others she didn't had it in her to kill them for her need.

So she watered them , caring for these unloved and hated greens.

Until that one day ,

A raging storm eroded and destroyed the entire fields.

Except for her plant,

That stood strong ,protected and bound by these very weeds."

-suzangill

....

Aaron's pov

A slap echoes in the hall and I clench my fist. Seeing the unfolding of the scene.

Something rising in my chest as I see her lowering her eyes , submitting to Aunt May's angry voice.

Fuc*

This stupid girl!

How can she say the truth so easily?

I lied on her behalf, I tried to protect her so that no one scolds her. So that no one comes to know of what that bastard Nathan did.

And look at her?

Crying those fat tears, after having announced to everyone what I tried to hide with my everything.

Damn!

I even talked to mom so rudely ,so that she doesn't tend to my bruises and get to see the hickeys she left on my neck.

All this for what?

"I...am sorry mom..."

She speaks , more of a sobs and I don't know why I am getting so angry. Mom tries to interfere but Aunt May was not listening.

"Sorry? What good is your sorry Ezra? Those boys? They are rich kids!"

"They use poor girls like you to only use you and throw you away. They would never marry a maid's daughter Ezra! Grow up and come out of your fairytale world."

Aunt is being harsh but she is right. Nathan was one of those bastard kids and I don't regret disfiguring his face even one bit. Let's see how he flirts and lures girls with that crooked face.

"Don't say that May, she is like my daughter -"

"Like your daughter. But not your daughter Mrs Rose!"

A look of hurt covers mom's features. I wanted to stop May, but mom shows me her hand, asking not to interfere.

May was not just a maid here. Mom considers her to be like her sister. And that's why we all call her Aunt May.

She is not just a maid. And Ezra was not just a maid's daughter.

Everyone loves her like family, they are protective of her and can do anything for her.

Aunt May may be technically right, but emotionally she is wrong.

Sharing the same blood is not the only thing binding people, sharing of hearts is more important.

"Mom... please-"

Aunt May doesn't listen. Rushing out of the house, to only have Ezra look at her retreating back with tears streaming down her eyes.

Mom held her falling body as she breaks down completely. While I just turn my back from the scene.

Feeling that same uneasiness to settle in my chest.