Chapter Three

°July 4th, 2007°

⚠️trigger warning ⚠️ mentions of suicide attempt(s)

[ Seminole Wind • John Anderson]

          Nora felt the wind blow through her loose  brown hair as her hat flew from her head. She pushed her horse, a black and white mare to go faster as she worked in tandem with her to steer her around the barrels. Nora loved the rodeo, especially the barrel racing part. She could hear everyone cheering as she finished in three minutes flat. The best time so far. She raised her hand in the air after she she shot back through the gate, giving an excited whoop of victory.

She got down off her saddle and pulled her horse over to the side, patting her neck affectionately.

"You did so good Molly. I'm proud of you." Nora sand resting her head of the now calm horse.

"That was impressive timing. You really got a handle on that horse you got."  Nora looked up to see a boy coming her way, he was about her age with black hair and blue eyes, his nose was slightly crooked and dotted with freckles. He wore a blue pearl snap shirt and a pair of spotless Tony Llamas. He was handsome.

"Thanks, how come I haven't seen you here before?"  Nora asked.

"Just moved to town from Sherman, figured I'd see what all the fuss is about this 4th of July Rodeo." The strange boy said.

"Well, is what you expected? I've been participating since I was old enough." Nora said.

"Well its better than the rodeos back home, that's for sure." The boy said chuckling. "I'm David Ashbey." The boy said offering his hand for Nora to shake.

"Nora-Joe Ryder." Nora said taking his hand and shaking it firmly.

•••

January 18th, 2012

     Nora stared down at the test in shock, two tiny pink lines appeared on it and it made her heart leap into her throat. Usually when one finds out they're expecting, it's a joyous occasion. People jump for joy or celebrate with a baby shower.

          Nora could only think of David in this instance. He had been the most amazing boyfriend, showering her with gifts, taking her on dates, just being so sweet to her. Now he was controlling, telling Nora what to do and when to to do it, he forced her to cut contact with Judd and Grace, and immediately changed into a horrible man from her nightmares. He beat her, most nights until she couldn't stand, she wasn't even sure how something as fragile as the baby growing inside her had survived all of the beatings she previously had.

"Get in here woman, I need another beer!" David hollered. Nora flinched and did as she was told. She was so ashamed. She used to fight the bullies in school, but now she lived with one.

The night ended with David finding the test in the trash.

He was livid. He beat her so bad until all she could do was limp out the door and down the road. She collapsed in a parking lot and woke up in the hospital a couple days later. To her dismay she was still alive, and still stuck under David's thumb.