Chapter four.

"How's California?" Judd Ryder asked his little sister.

"It's hectic, last week I had to tackle a pig that went crazy at a petting zoo. Never had to deal with that before." Nora said laughing as she stirred her pasta.

"That is crazy, listen Nora, I got some news, it's not good." Judd said in a tone that made her think he was walking on egg shells.

"Okay." Nora said stopping what she was doing.

"David is out of prison." Judd said. Nora's eyes went wide as half dollars. She dropped her phone and began backing up, tripping over a chair and smacking her head on the floor.

She didn't remember passing out until she opened her eyes to see a startled Buck. The sound came flooding back to her and she shook her head. It ached, terribly and the light was hurting her eyes. She felt the overwhelming urge to vomit as she found it hard to focus on Buck's worried frame.

"NORA!? NORA WHAT'S GOING ON?"

"B-buck?" Nora stuttered out.

"WHO'S BUCK?" Judd hollered through the speaker.

"NJ are you alright? I heard the commotion and ran over as fast as I could." He said placing his hands on Nora's shoulders.

"My phone, Judd, David-" Nora couldn't hold in the vomit any longer.

"NORA JOE WHAT'S GOING ON?" Judd hollered. Nora squeezed her eyes shut as Buck grabbed her chin gently.

"It's all right, let me look at your eyes okay?" Buck said gently. Nora opened them to the best of her ability, shutting them tight against the light Buck shined in her eyes.

"What day is it?" Buck asked.

"Uh Januarycember?" Nora asked.

"Shit, okay. Come with me, I'm gonna drive you to the hospital." Buck said.

"My brother. I can hear Judd."

"HELLO? NORA? WHO'S BUCK?" Judd's voice called out.

Buck grabbed her phone.

"I'm Buck, I'm a friend of your sisters, I think she might have a concussion. I'm gonna drive her to the ER." Buck said.

"Jesus christ okay, did you see what happened?" Judd asked and Nora curled into a fetal position.

"No I was on my way over and I heard a loud scream. Looks like she tripped over a chair." Buck said.

•••

Buck drove to the hospital, Nora moaning from the pain in the passenger seat of his Jeep.

It took a while to get checked in and the entire time she sat curled up in his lap.

"You smell like pine trees." Nora said yawning. She grabbed a fist full of his shirt and inhaled deeply.

"Uh uh, you gotta stay awake NJ." Buck said nervously.

"Mmm tryin' it's hard 'cause you're so warm." Nora mumbled.

"Well you gotta stay awake." Buck said.