it's warm with you // kirikamibaku

a/n: yes this is a christmas fic, yes it is march. leave me alone i am mentally ill.

bakugou has never liked christmas, ever since he was a child, and deku was dragging him through the mall to go sit on an old man's lap and let him whisper in their ears.

he'd never had much of a reason to celebrate it, even as he got older. his parents got busier at work around that time so they weren't home much, and any presents he'd gotten were little more than a haphazard gift card, and even those dwindled over the years.

he remembers the emptiness of his house in the winter months, and the cold, back when he wasn't tall enough to reach the thermostat by himself.

eventually, he grew tired of waiting for his parents to surprise him with gifts on christmas day, and he finally accepted one of deku's many invitations. that christmas was his happiest. auntie inko welcomed him into her home with open arms. he helped them put up the tree and cook dinner, and he sat on the counter while auntie inko stirred her homemade hot cocoa and deku ran around in his all might onesie, babbling nonsensically and flapping his hands.

deku's house was never silent, and the hearth was always lit, and it was so warm. but warmth never lasted, and it only made the cold seem colder. once he experienced what christmas–what family–was supposed to be like, it made his empty house so much more unbearable.

one christmas evening, when he was about eleven, he'd made himself dinner and set the table for one. but as he sat there, alone in a big, cold house, he couldn't help but think, scathingly, of how warm that damn deku must be. he never tried anything like that again, instead resolving to treat christmas like any other day.

of course, he couldn't keep this up once he got to ua.

he should've expected this, but all the extras were obsessed with christmas. on december first, suddenly it's like they've all gone mad. bursting into cheesy christmas songs, covering everything they possibly can in snowflakes and glitter, even going so far as to ban non-christmas movies from movie night for the month of december. he didn't give a shit what they got up to in their spare time, so long as they left him the hell alone.

but of course, they found some way to drag him into it.

"fuck no." bakugou said firmly. "we are not doing this."

his eyes were locked onto the screen of kirishima's laptop, where the mouse was hovered over some cheesy christmas movie called a gingerbread romance.

"c'mon, katsuki, it'll be fun!" kirishima taunted.

bakugou's scowl intensified even as a flush crawled up his neck. he'd been dating kaminari and kirishima for a few months but he'd only recently given them permission to use his given name. it shouldn't have been that big of a deal, but they both knew what a show of trust this was, and they'd taken to using it to disarm him when he least expected it.

kaminari giggled, leaning across bakugou's legs to read the shitty summary in a high-pitched anime schoolgirl voice. "when competitive architect, taylor, convinces handsome baker and single dad adam to partner with her in a contest to build life sized gingerbread houses, she finds herself unexpectedly feeling at home with adam and his daughter, brooke, and even falling head over heels in love!"

bakugou made a fake gagging noise. "i swear to fucking god, if you press play i'm leaving."

he braced his hands against the bed as if he really was going to leave, and kaminari quickly scrambled on top of him, holding him down.

"katsuki no," kaminari whined, face inches away from bakugou's. "please don't go! c'mon, you can make fun of the shitty acting!"

bakugou resisted against kaminari's weight, knowing full well that he could easily push him off if he wanted to. (he didn't want to.) kirishima placed his arm on kaminari's back and scooted in close until his chest pressed against bakugou's arm.