Past Grievances (Wolflet)

~~~

"You may now kiss the bride," exclaimed the minister in his usual tone that Wolf thought monotonous.

Wolf turned and looked into Scarlet's shining, brown eyes. A cloud of red, curly hair framed her rosy, freckled face that was usually creased up in a frown. Her white dress billowed in creases of silk at her feet making her look like a princess. It had taken so much arguing and haggling to get Scarlet in a dress. It was worth it. Wolf felt as if his peripheral vision didn't exist. The church was empty. Except for her. She was the only one. She would always be the only one.

Scarlet leaned in, her forehead almost touching his. Her lips moved, barely a whisper. "You're my Alpha," she said.

Wolf brought his hands to her cheeks and brought his face to hers. But suddenly, when their lips touched, he saw a blinding white flash. He was no longer in the chapel. As Wolf jolted up in bed, he realized that he was no longer getting married. Marriage was a distant fantasy.

It had been three years since the Lunar revolution. Wolf would never forgive Thorne, Kai, or Cress. He would never forgive Cinder. And most of all, he would never forgive himself. The Rampion reached Luna one hour too late. They broke into the prison in an attempt of a rescue mission, but then reached the solitary cell containing only one person; Winter. Wolf saw the look in the Princess's eyes and immediately knew that they were too late. Too late to save Scarlet. Too late to save his Alpha Female.

Wolf put his head in his hands and realized that this night was the night he found out that Scarlet was dead. That she had been slowly tortured and then burned to death by Queen Levana because she refused to give her any information about Princess Selene.

For the first time in three years, tears started falling down Wolf's cheeks. He hadn't cried since the night that Scarlet died. Wolf stared down at the tattoo on his arm. He couldn't possibly bear the pain of knowing that he would never see Scarlet again.

Wolf thought of the times that Scarlet urged him not to fight, the times when his animal instincts slowly faded away at the hope that Scarlet was still alive. Hope was one of the strongest feelings of all, and it was indeed very strong as he would wait in the Rampion, training Cinder and thinking of every single possibility of how Scarlet was doing. But that hope had been crushed many years ago and he gave up his strength to try.

He then thought of the times before he even met Scarlet, where all he did was kill and fight for the strength of the Lunar Queen. He hated her. He hated all of them. He was so filled with hate that he couldn't see past the hatred that clouded. It was like it had always been without Scarlet. She tried so hard to clear the hate, and she had been the main reason why he used all of his strength to do so. But Scarlet was gone. She would be gone forever. There was no point in trying. Nothing to hope for. Nothing to be strong for.

The base animal instincts that were programmed within Wolf slowly started to come out as he started to snarl at his opponents. He stood outside of Rieux Tavern, staring into the eyes of the men standing in front of him, ready to strike again. Fresh cuts scarred his face as trickles of blood ran down his face. How refreshing.

Wolf realized that what happened in the past would never leave him; it would just stay hidden deep down until it was unleashed again at the proper time. He crouched down and stared at their faces, taunting him with every breath. With one more growl, he sprang up and lunged.

~~~

Thank you for reading. Again, this was very short, and I tried my best to make it longer, but kinda failed. It was based off some headcanons I saw while scrolling through Tumblr which I just mashed into one, small oneshot. I hope you enjoyed.