Scars of a Lighthouse ThePenultimateAvenger

ThePenultimateAvenger

Summary:

In which Clint and Natasha become lawfully wedded spouses. Oneshot for Widowsass on Tumblr.

Notes:

Clintasha is a ship that I rarely have time to explore, but it's one of my OTPs. That's why I was absolutely thrilled when Sophie requested a Clintasha wedding! It's short and sweet, but I hope I was able to do this pairing justice.

Work Text:

Natasha took a few deep breaths, in through her nose and out through her mouth, as she stared at her reflection in the full-length mirror. The reflection that stared back at her was foreign and glorious and it made her heart leap. She had worn dresses before, sure, but none of them had been so beautiful. The dresses she wore for missions were...well, less than modest, and she wasn't the type to go dress shopping for herself. She was a woman of practicality, after all.

She felt as though she was standing in a dream and that everything they'd spent months planning would come crashing down and she'd be forced back into reality. It was all too perfect to be true; the dress, the location, and the man she was about to wed. She'd dreamed of this day when she was young-during the days when she believed happiness was so easy to come by.

But the day had come, and it was indeed real.

There was a gentle knock on the door and the assassin turned just as Pepper Potts poked her head into the room with a luminous smile. "How are you feeling?" She asked, slipping in and shutting the door behind her.

Natasha gave her reflection another once over, smiling nervously. "I don't know yet. I just can't believe it's finally here." She adjusted her dress slightly, smoothing her fingers over the satin bodice. Her original plan had been to go with something simple-a plain white dress that could be bought at any generic wedding store. Pepper and Maria had convinced her otherwise, however, saying that weddings were meant to be elaborate and beautiful.

That, and Tony had offered to pay for it.

So in the end, she'd managed to find the perfect dress. The bodice was sleeveless and fell just above her hips where layers of fabric flared outwards, nearly touching the floor. The satin was covered with tiny beads that accented embroidered roses, spreading across the waist of the dress and accentuating her curves.

"You'll be fine." Pepper assured, placing a hand on Natasha's shoulder. "I'm sure Clint is just as nervous as you are."

"His job is easy." Nat muttered. "He just has to stand there and look pretty. Everyone knows that the bride is the focal point of the wedding."

"Well, you look beautiful and all of the people focusing on you are going to agree 100%."

Natasha sent Pepper a grateful smile through the mirror and adjusted one of the hairpins that was holding a tendril of hair from her eyes, fluffing the mesh veil over her shoulders, before turning to the other woman. The reality hadn't hit her quite yet, but her heart was beating quickly nonetheless, her palms cold. In her mind, she equated the situation for preparing for a mission, but it was harder to find an inner calm. Missions were easy; she'd done them a million times and had learned to expect the unexpected. Marriage was a rarer occurrence where anything could happen.

It was her wedding day. She was about to marry the man who saved her life and made it possible to turn everything around. Clint made the call not to kill her, and she was making the call to spend the rest of her life with him.