When The Past Catches Up TashaBlackWidow

TashaBlackWidow

Summary:

It wasn't that late when Natasha found herself back at her hotel room, but she hadn't been out for very long in the first place. A quick glance at the watch on her wrist she'd ascended in the elevator had told her it was only ten minutes past nine, but she still felt exhausted. Though the current assignment was short it had been too personal for her liking, and personal wasn't something she liked dealing with at all, certainly less so with her team involved. The case involved a former KGB agent who had dealings with HYDRA, linking to a huge shipment of Stark Industries technology to fall into the wrong hands...that had angered Tony, which had pissed off Coulson, which had pissed off Fury...and the dominos had fallen until a quick look into the situation had revealed the main conspirator to be Matvei Romanoff.

Work Text:

It wasn't that late when Natasha found herself back at her hotel room, but she hadn't been out for very long in the first place. A quick glance at the watch on her wrist she'd ascended in the elevator had told her it was only ten minutes past nine, but she still felt exhausted. Though the current assignment was short it had been too personal for her liking, and personal wasn't something she liked dealing with at all, certainly less so with her team involved. The case involved a former KGB agent who had dealings with HYDRA, linking to a huge shipment of Stark Industries technology to fall into the wrong hands...that had angered Tony, which had pissed off Coulson, which had pissed off Fury...and the dominos had fallen until a quick look into the situation had revealed the main conspirator to be Matvei Romanoff.

Matvei. Her uncle.

Matvei Romanoff had been her fathers brother, though she had not seen him for over ten years. He had, once upon a time, taken her in after her parents death, helping her cope with the grief of losing both her mother and father in the same tragic accident. He had been the one who had taught her self defence and gotten her the first job she ever had for the KGB. He was the reason that she was as physically strong as she was today, and to find out that he had been involved with HYDRA from the very beginning shattered her. Not that she allowed anyone to see that. She was better at hiding her emotions than they gave her credit for.

Matvei had been the one to contact them, insisting that he had information that would be of value to them, insisting that his niece meet him in a hotel restaurant in New York City and he would give the information to her. They'd booked her a room and she had arrived two hours before the reservation to check in and change for dinner. She needed to make sure that despite the conversation they could blend in with the other diners and not cause a scene. Coulson arrived to brief her an hour before the reservation and provide her with the surveillance equipment that Stark had disguised as a set of earrings, letting her know where the other team mates would be. Stark would be monitoring from another room in the hotel, too much of a public icon to be any closer without causing a scene, Rogers and Banner would be at the bar, Coulson himself taking a phonecall in the entrance and Barton by the patio doors that lead to the dining area on the veranda.

Dinner hadn't gone well, to say the lease.

She'd caught Clint's eye as she walked into the restaurant, exactly on time. She immediately looked away, as if she'd only glanced at him in passing and approached the table where her uncle was waiting for. She used all of her self control not to dislocate his shoulder when he hugged her as a greeting, and managed not to headbutt him when he kissed both her cheeks. As he held out her chair for her she felt Clint's eyes sweeping over her and for once, the feeling of being watched was oddly comforting.

As the elevator arrived at her floor she pushed herself away from the back wall into the hallway. She'd spent two hours getting read; dressing, prepping herself, checking and rechecking her weaponry, forcing herself to believe that this was just another assignment, and it was all over before they'd even finished the entrees.