Chapter 20

The next morning, I was at risk of delaying my flight because Jasper decided it was time to be stubborn.

"I appreciate your concern over my standing and I am so grateful for the opportunity to work with the agency, but I don't think that Dexter and I are going to be able to pull this off," I announced when I burst into Jasper's office at the crack of dawn.

Of course, he was already awake and dressed, halfway through a cup of coffee as he read his newspaper. And typical Jasper, he didn't even bother to lower the pages when I arrived. "I'm not sure if you're aware, but most of the time when you are given a briefing, it's not a question. You do what you are told unless you absolutely cannot."

"Well, I'm telling you that I absolutely cannot."

My cousin gave out an annoyed sound. He folded his newspaper back into quarters and clasped his fingers in front of him on the desk as he assessed me. I stayed perfectly still when his cold gaze slid over me. "What does Dexter think about the arrangement?"

"He's not a fan of it either from what I can tell."

There was a second of deliberation, then the newspaper was snapped open again. "I don't care. The plan goes ahead as it was."

"Jasper, please, you aren't listening to me."

"I am listening, I just don't care," he said.

I blinked once to process the words then a second time to try and figure out how he could dismiss me so quickly. "I don't think you understand the situation. I didn't want to have to be blunt, but the reality is that Dexter and I have been intimate and I think that had the potential to derail our progress if we were able to make any. Besides, the handbook clearly states that you can't have relations—"

"You're only convincing me that this is the best course of action," he stated. "Think about this from my side and maybe you'll understand. A random kid comes to me staying that he has been threatened. I get one blurry picture of the letter before the letter disappears. At this point, there is little that local law enforcement can do and no proof. I know that we could force a cop or two to keep an eye on him, but it would be ridiculous. I certainly can't assign an agent to the case. But I cannot ignore this entirely in case it turns out to be bigger than what I imagined. You are the best option. In fact, it seems like you are the only option. As the for the relationship aspect, it is irrelevant. I helped Zara save herself and her kingdom while I was entirely in love with her. Yes, it's a rule, but its fairly loose and since I'm putting you up to this, I will take the hit."

My plan was crumbling too quickly. I hadn't thought up a second reason to decline this offer.

"I still don't think this is for the best."

"Go home, alligator. Spend Christmas with your dad. On the twenty sixth of December, I will send you a full schedule of events that you will attend with Dexter. This isn't going to be forever."

I didn't have a choice in the matter, that much was clear. I took a shaky breath and asked the question I had been too frightened to put into words, "Have you heard any news about my mom?" The silence had spanned too long. My hope was dwindling. But the idea of knowing that she was gone was frightening.

"Nothing yet. You'll be the first to know, I promise."

Relief was now twisted with grief regardless.

I was ushered out of Jasper's office soon after. Zara said a quick goodbye, hugging me tightly and thanking me for my help. Then it was just Dexter and I in the car, on the plane, and in the Calgary airport. It was as awkward as I could imagine, but I did my best to focus on my laptop, on the scenery, on the flight attendants, anything but the man that had fucked my mouth less than twenty-four hours ago.

My dad was a welcome distraction, picking me up from the airport with his usual bearhug and his easy, laidback attitude. We drove to his little house on the south side of the city and spent the entirety of the holidays together. it wasn't the same without my mom and it showed in every corner. My dad didn't have the critical eye that would help him decorate his tree to perfection. He didn't have the forethought to light pine scented candles or the patience to cook a real turkey.

I had always thought I was so lucky that my divorced parents always came together for Christmas. Despite their differences, they acknowledge that we were a real family, even if we were a little broken in places. It was being together that made the holidays special. And now, all I could was stare at the empty chair where my mother should have been.

My dad caught me staring and kissed the top of my head. "She'll come home to us. We just have to be strong and keep her in our hearts."

He sounded so confident, but I wasn't so sure anymore. Still, I was right by his side through the whole evening. We ate the overcooked chicken breast and the burnt rice without much conversation and settled in for a classic Christmas movie that was always a favorite. Like the last time, we fell asleep on the couch together.

Christmas morning was filled with gifts and junk food. The laughter only died when one of us would notice the two wrapped boxes still under the tree, waiting patiently for their recipient.

~~~Question of the Day~~~

What is your favorite movie scene?