(6) Revisiting a place

Imagine that after some years you revisit a place that you used to know well, only to find that everything has changed. Write a description of the place now and how the changes make you feel. 

As I opened the door of my childhood home, my eyes scanned around the room and gave a sigh: everything had changed - truly. I strolled and touched the bare walls that were once covered with vibrant wallpaper and looked around, with my eyes glimmering with nostalgia. 

Then, my eyes were fixed at the damaged, isolated corner of the living room and countless memories flooded in my mind. I could remember that was the corner of smiles and celebrations. Now, tiny crevices start to show and little pieces of moss are strangling that corner. 

I made my way to the kitchen and it felt as if I could hear the sizzling meat on the stove and the aromatic smell of food being cooked by my mother. These memories of her lingered in my mind as I imagined the tantalising smell of her cooking wafting through the air and corridor of the house, which created a sense of warmth and home. 

As I went up the stairs and felt the rough stairwell, it seemed that all the vibrance had been sucked out of this house as I entered my old bedroom. I closed my eyes and remembered the memorable bed time stories that my mother used to tell me whenever ominous thunderstorms loomed late at night. Her words never failed to soothe my ears.

I decided to return to the living room and began to sat on the floor with my eyes focused down. I couldn't believe how time flew in a blink of an eye and how this house had changed. They always said that 'home is where the heart is', and these words triggered a teardrop from my eye and it ended on a salty rest on my lips. However, I knew it was time to move on, so I got up and took a moment to breathe. As I was about to close the door of my childhood home, I took one last glance and it was time for me to start a new chapter.