(10) The text message

Write a story in which a text message plays an important part.

The glorious, scintillating sun reigned supreme like a king as it threw off a veil of golden sunshine on the ground. The azure sky contained heavenly, puffy, snow-white clouds that drifted enjoyably against a backdrop of serene blue. Inside a house on 6th Boulevard Street was Sarah, who stood in front of the mirror to prepare herself for the day.

Sarah had green eyes that shimmered like emeralds and her blonde hair cascaded down like a waterfall. She gave an exasperated sigh to herself as she combed her hair.

"It's going to be fine, it's going to be fine," murmured Sarah repeatedly. She tried her best to reassure herself.

Sarah paced back and forth around her room around her room and cracked her knuckles - she felt tremendously nervous. So, to comfort herself, she opened her window and began to take in the fresh and air and the sound of the placid zephyr created tranquility in Sarah's mind. Little did she know, that moment of serenity only lasted for a fleeting second. 

Bing! Sarah's phone threw off a distinct sound - it was a text message. Sarah felt her heart sink into the abyss of her soul as she stared at her phone with utmost horror. With a hint of bravery inside of her, she knew that she had to look at the important message flashing before her very eyes. 

Trembling, droplets of sweat began to trickle down the side of Sarah's head and shivers chased themselves up and down her spine, teasing her to pluck up her courage. As she grabbed her phone and swipe unlocked, she immediately knew who the text message was from: the hospital. Sarah whispered a silent prayer to herself, hoping it would be good news.

Nervously, her palms were incredibly clammy, and her blood ran cold, as she read the text message. Her eyes widened and Sarah was paralysed with fear.

"Cancer: stage four, positive." 

Sarah fell on her knees and screamed in the top of her lungs, which shattered the unbreathable ambience around her house. Despair lingered in her eyes, which formed a perfect combination with her melancholy expression that was etched across her face. Her incoherent sobs echoed around the house  and her luminescent tears rolled down her cheeks continuously.

As she looked out the window, dark, ominous clouds crowded together and the weight of the somber sky pressed down with the heaviness of a coming storm and the defenceless trees were lashed by the invincible wind. Hopelessly, Sarah lied on her bedroom floor with a teardrop on her left cheek: Nothing in this world seemed to matter anymore.