Part 2: Through the Wall

The next few weeks were torture for y/n. Living with the knowledge that within a few weeks, she would start at a magical school with other witches and wizards like herself. Dad had started calling her a witch immediately, but only to tease her. Her mum didn't know if she liked that term much. But now, on the way to platform nine and three quarters, her mum finally seemed to be excepting her new status.

"And you're sure you have everything?" Mum said, looking back at her.

"I checked the entire house five times for any trunk or luggage I could have missed, and checked that I had everything on the list. And you did all that twice as much. Mum, I have everything. Stop worrying."

But y/n was worrying too. Not about leaving something behind, but she was worried about how easy it would be to make friends. She had thought about finding Draco and trying to become friends with him, but she had judged him to be the type who wouldn't want a muggle born hanging around him. 

Y/n had gotten lots of books from Flourish and Blotts that weren't on her list so she could try to catch up with all the rest of the school in their wizarding knowledge. That's how she learned the term 'muggle born.' One of her favorite books being Hogwarts: A History. Now she liked to think she knew more about Hogwarts then most of her Hogwarts peers, but she still didn't think she knew enough. That was her worry. That she would be the only muggle born there and wouldn't make friends because of it. That she wouldn't make friends because she didn't know enough. 

Her mum chuckled. "You're right sweetheart. I need to stop worrying. I don't know how I'm going to make it without you." Mum reached back from the passenger seat to take her hand. "I love you, Sweetheart."

"We both love you," said her dad from the drivers seat. "And we're so excited for you to take this new adventure. Which you will be telling us all about."

"Every week on Saturday. I hope Gylfie is as fast as she is big." y/n said, reaching through the bars of Gylfie's cage to stroke her feathers. Her name was her father's idea. Gylfie meant miracle in another language y/n couldn't remember -- Norse maybe? -- and her dad said that would mean that two miracles would be going on an adventure together. Y/N thought that was a sweet name for her bird and agreed.

As the car pulled to a stop at King's Cross Station, y/n's stomach became jittery. She was almost to the train that would take her to school. She was going to learn magic. 

It was about ten forty five when the family got between platforms nine and ten. Y/N had read about getting on to platform nine and three quarters and knew how to do it, but it made her very nervous. 

"Ready?" She turned looked at both of her parents in turn who were on either side of her, helping her push her trolley. Both were looking at the wall with the same nervousness in their eyes.

"Ready," they said in unison.

As the three ran for the wall, y/n was terribly tempted to close her eyes. She was running at a brick wall! But she refused to let her eyes close so she wouldn't she the passing between platforms. And so glad was she that she had. 

The platform was buzzing with an excited energy as students hugged and kissed their parents and loaded their bags onto the train. The train itself was beautiful, a striking red steam engine with Hogwarts Express written across the side. As y/n looked around the station, she couldn't find anyone she knew, which she expected, but she did find another girl with her parents who were dressed in muggle clothes. 

"Hi, I'm y/n. Y/N Y/L/N." y/n said with a smile. 

"Hi! I'm Hermione Granger." the girl said, smiling back at her.