Part 18: Hand in Hand

The girls went back to Pansy's room after dinner and got in their pajamas, all the while y/n was thinking about the tattoo on Mr Parkinson's arm. She didn't know much about the Dark Mark. She didn't want to. She never wanted to have it near her. She didn't want the mark of the wizarding world's greatest villain anywhere near her, nor her friends and family.

After a long night of games and lots of giggling, the girls finally all settled in Pansy's massive four poster with room to spare, and started talking. After a while, y/n couldn't help but ask Pansy about her father.

"Pansy, your dad, he has the Dark Mark, doesn't he?"

Both the girls stopped chatting and turned to her.

"Is that why you've been so quiet? Yeah, he has. Got it before I was born. Can't remove them. Dad says he would if he could, but I don't really believe him. He's always talking about how the world would be a much better place without muggles and the problems they cause. If You-Know-Who came back, I think my father would go to him again," Pansy said simply, as if discussing the weather.

"Doesn't that bother you," Sarah asked.

"It did. When I was little, I was so scared of that tattoo that Mum made Dad wear long sleeves whenever I was around. I wouldn't let him pick me up otherwise." Pansy laughed at the memory.

"So...What happened?" y/n asked.

"I got used to it. Dad meets with his old Death Eater friends all the time. Especially Lucius Malfoy, Draco's dad. It doesn't bother me because nothing I can do will stop him from rejoining if the Dark Lord returns." Pansy seemed sad. Y/N suspected she had never told this to anyone. Not even her parents. Y/N knew Pansy didn't like to feel vulnerable.

"Well, then I guess it's a good thing he died trying to kill Harry Potter then, hm," y/n asked, taking Pansy's hand.

"How do you know so much about our world, y/n? Since you're muggle born, didn't you grow up knowing nothing about us?" Sarah changed the subject easily, and with that the girls drifted off into quiet conversation until they had all fallen asleep.

The next morning was a blur as everyone sped to get ready. Y/N was told they were in the Minister's Box and wouldn't have much need for coats, but to bring them anyway. So all the girls struggled into their clothes, shoveled down their breakfast, and sped out to meet Pansy's parents, bundled up in very nice looking robes, with Lorddie the House Elf standing at Mr Parkinson's side.

"Good morning girls," Mrs Parkinson greeted them happily. "Are you ready to go?"

The girls all nodded.

"Well then, hurry up. We don't have all day." Mr Parkinson sounded bored and annoyed as he held out his right arm for his wife to take, while Lorddie took his left. Then, Sarah and Pansy linked arms before Pansy grabbed her mother's. Unsure, y/n grabbed Sarah's elbow.

Suddenly, y/n was shoved through a tiny space, squishing her body through a narrow tube before she felt solid ground again. Her stomach spun and flipped but she didn't allow herself to vomit.

When y/n looked up she recognized the Leaky Cauldron in front of her. She looked at Pansy, opening her mouth to speak, but Pansy knew what she wanted to ask.

"That as Apparating. Takes some getting used to. And the match isn't until tonight, so we always spend the day shopping in Diagon Alley before we meet the Minster and Draco's family."

"Draco's family," y/n asked.

"Yeah, London hosts a match every New Year's and it's tradition for both our families to go watch. Didn't he tell you? I thought he would have." Pansy looked just as shocked as y/n felt at the fact that Draco hadn't told her. He knew they were meeting Pansy. The girls had talked about it for days before the holiday.