Part 7: A Magical Cure

The next day, y/n was given her schedule for the week. She had Potions every Monday and Wednesday and every Friday, Defense Against the Dark Arts every Monday, Charms every Tuesday and Thursday, Herbology on Wednesday, Astronomy and History of Magic on Thursday, and Transfiguration every Thursday, each class with different Houses.

As the week went on, y/n loved each of her classes and, come Friday, she had figured out which classes she liked most. Potions with Professor Snape had been incredible, as Snape was having them learn about different ingredients and their uses in a potion, and Transfiguration was very enjoyable with Professor McGonagall's no-nonsense rule set. Y/n also quite enjoyed watching the tiny Professor Flitwick preform spells with a wand almost longer than his whole arm.

By the end of the week, y/n and her friends had chosen their favorite teachers, created many jokes about the tiny Charms teacher, and had made some mischief. And, though y/n didn't much want to join in, Draco made good on his word and roped her in anyway.

Ever since that first night, Draco and y/n had met in the Common Room after lights out. Sometimes they would talk quietly about their classes, sometimes they would do unfinished homework, but no matter what, they always went to bed without worries of expectations and standards.

When Friday finally rolled along, Slytherin found out that they had been put into double Potions with Gryffindor. Draco, like the rest of Slytherin House, was quite pleased about that, but Sarah and y/n had different reasons then the rest. The two girls were excited to see Neville and Hermione again after their busy first week, while Draco and the rest of Slytherin House only wanted to watch Professor Snape fawn over them while he slowly stole all of Gryffindor's points. Or, that's how Pansy had put it.

During breakfast, the mail arrived and it reminded y/n once again about her promise to her parents. Gylfie hadn't really brought any mail for her yet, which really was no problem because y/n usually just read Sarah's copy of The Daily Prophet, the wizarding version of a newspaper, whenever it was delivered.

Most of the Slytherins decided to get to Potions before it started and got there about five minutes early to beat the Gryffindors to the best seats, which they did, claiming the middle of the room for their own.

The classroom was arranged very neatly, with five tables lined up one in front of the other, to face the front of the class. As only four chairs went to a single desk, Pansy, and Millicent sat in the back row, Sarah, Lillith, Kathrine, and y/n taking up the fourth row, and Draco, Crabbe, Goyle, and a boy named Blaise Zambini in the third. After y/n was settled into her seat, with all of her class supplies prepared and her House mates taking up the seats around her, she walked up to Professor Snape's desk.

"Good morning, Professor," y/n said brightly. 

Professor Snape looked up from the potions book he was reading -- Magical Drafts and Potions -- and didn't quite smile, but the corners of his mouth raised slightly as a show of acknowledgement. 

"Good morning," Snape practically whispered in his droning voice. "Do you need something?"

"I--yes. Professor Dumbledore told me I could come to you if I needed help, and...I was just wondering about working at St. Mungo's after Hogwarts. I know I have to score really high on both the O.W.L.'s and the N.E.W.T.'s, but I was wondering if it would be possible for me to start working in the Hospital Wing as one of my classes, just to see what it's like."

Professor Snape thought for a moment before speaking. "I'm afraid I don't have the authority to give you permission to do that, but I will talk to Professor Dumbledore and Madame Pomfrey and see what I can do." 

Snape then looked behind him as a rather loud group of four Gryffindor girls entered the classroom. Two of the girls claimed seats by Pansy and Millicent, causing the two to glare aggressively at the Gryffindors, and the other two taking two stools in the front, leaving a space between them as if saving a seat.