07, in between

SEVEN

LEO AND KATE were walking side by side down the corridor. Passing the many students of Mission Creek High, Leo let his shoulder collide with all of their elbows—because he's extremely short. He couldn't tear his eyes away from the slip of paper he held in his hands, looking mortified.

Kate let out an enthusiastic sigh, slapping her right hand to his shoulder. "You know, if you had just showed up on time...like once, none of this would be happening." She observed.

He turned to face her, widening his eyes in a taunting manner. "You give me more reasons to hate you, every time you speak." He practically growled.

Kate burst into a fit of laughter, clutching onto Adams arm for balance as they reached him and Bree. He loomed over her, smacking her on the head with his progress report paper.

"What's that?" Bree wondered, pointing at the paper, which held Leo's shame.

"My progress report." He told her with a frown. "I can't believe my science teacher says i'm always late to class!" He exclaimed, flailing his arms about.

Bree looked at Kate with a confused, tight lipped smile, swinging her body back to face Leo. "Well, you are always late to class." She reminded him.

In a strop, Leo slammed his arms to his side. "I know that, but I don't need it publicised!" He screeched.

Kate gently made her way toward him, like creeping up on a sleeping tiger. She wrapped her arms around him from the side, and brought him down to sit on the floor. Just like she done with Adam during the death robot fiasco, she caressed his head softly, whispering soothing words into his ear.

Also in distraught about his progress report, Chase ran up to the group in a panic. He waved his paper around in everyone face, interrupting Kates attempt at calming Leo. "Look at this! An A minus!" He complained...or bragged. Kate wasn't too sure.

"I knew my home ec teacher had it out for me. Always criticising my muffins." He seethed, shaking his head angrily.

"Ha ha!" Adam yelled, unfolding the rolled up sheet of paper he had previously been hitting Kate with. "I beat you! I got a D plus. Plus, because i'm better than you!" He smiled, holding it up proudly.

Kate stood up from the floor, squeezing Adams bicep in a soothing manner. "You know, you're trying, and that's all that matters, buddy!" She assured him.

Chase stepped forward slightly, eyeing up his brother—as a means to intimidate him maybe. "D is not a good grade. But, we don't really expect you to get good grades. I'm engineered to be the smartest person on the planet, and I just got an A minus." He whined.

He took another look at his friends—and siblings, cringing at the realisation that he was stooping to their level of stupidity. He walked over to sit on the circular bench, dropping his head into his hands.

Seeing his muddled state, Bree decided to take a seat beside him, and annoy him further. "Chase, I know this must be hard for you, but I mean, look at the bright side—seeing you fall flat on your face, is really fun for us!"

Chase unnoticeably turned to look at Kate, making sure she was out of ear shot—which she was. He took in a nervous breath, running his hand down his face. "Look, I know you won't get it...but my intelligence is the only thing that makes me stand out. Being smart is what i'm good at."