Chapter 12: Making a Choice

Author's Note: If you're wondering why Gregory talks like an adult instead of a child sometimes, it's mainly because his mind is maturing much faster than his body due to receiving William's memories. As the story progresses, more of William's personality will Bleed into Gregory's (for better and for worse).

~~

Location: Elevator to Main Atrium

Time: 10:20pm

Ambient elevator music plays as the clone of a serial killer and a giant mechanical bear hosting two restless spirits go on a long elevator ride to the Atrium.

"Gregory?" Freddy checks up on the boy. "You've been quiet. Are you alright?

Shielded within the metal compartment, Gregory slept, drowning in a sea of William's fragmented memories.

A family of five at a dinner table. A boy in a fox mask cries having fallen down. There are horizontal crimson scars all over his arms and he's trying to protect himself from the taller man looking down at him. Another boy is in his bedroom chatting with several animal plushies. An orange haired girl with leaf green eyes giggles while showing him a picture of a poorly drawn cat...

"Gregory?" Freddy calls him gently.

Checkered tiles. A large cake full of candles. The screams of a girl with black hair in ponytails and a yellow dress. Another girl lies on a grey pavement and is coughing blood. She weeps purple tears as her face morphs into a blank white mask.

"Uncle William? Help me...Please."

"Are you alright?" Freddy taps his chest cavity lightly "Did you fall asleep in me again?"

"Huh?" Gregory rubs his eyes, waking up, "Yeah. Sorry. Are we there yet?"

"Nearly. I sense that your anxiety levels have been spiking at an unusually frequent rate".

"Unusually frequent is an understatement." Gregory mutters, "I just....have a lot to think about, especially with what happened earlier. Also, I think I'm going to need a lot more than just therapy after tonight."

"If you need someone to talk to, you can talk to me. I may not have all the answers to what's on your mind but I can always lend you an ear, literally and metaphorically speaking."

Gregory chuckles at that joke, "Thank you Freddy."

One of the lights on the lift dinged, indicating that they were at Floor 7 and halfway to their destination. There was no Floor 7 of course as the Pizzaplex was only 3 floors but that was only as far as the public knew. 

In truth, The Pizzaplex was titanic below it's shiny surface, having multiple rooms and corridors of equipment, merchandise and God knows what else. Gregory and Freddy had boarded a special lift which gave them admittance to the hidden floors but Gregory didn't wish to explore each floor or dwell on what could be in them since they would be at the Atrium in a moment's time and very soon, an exit.

"What about you? Are you ok Freddy?" Gregory asked, "You were quiet for a long while too on the way to the lift".

"That's because I was talking to Mike and Henry. I know they said they were hibernating but after hearing what they said back there about you, I felt like I had some words to say to them."

"Wait a minute, you mean you can talk to them in your head or circuits?" Gregory questioned, surprised by this revelation.

"Yes. I tried to make them swear they wouldn't harm one hair on your head or I would throw them out of me."