Chapter 8 | The Long Awaited Day

3 days later, Anderson Manor, The day of graduation

***Adriana Anderson POV***

It all felt so surreal, almost like a dream. 6 years ago, I remember thinking of this very day; the day that I'd finally graduate. And here it was. A couple of hours from now I would be standing on the stage, receiving my diploma. 6 years of hard work would finally pay off.

Hermione and I had woken up early, around 6 in the morning, and began preparing to leave for school in about an hour, using dad's plane for the 2-hour trip. I was excited, but also nervous. I didn't know what I was going to do after school. I actually wanted to be unemployed for a while, indulge in my family's money, sit back and relax for a couple of years.

But, I didn't want to be useless. After Dexter graduated 3 years ago and became unemployed, dad finally had enough and told him to get a job at the bureau. If I did the same thing, dad will yell at me for being jobless, and I didn't want that.

I could be a teacher

I stepped out of the bathroom, walking into the closet, where I slid on my pair of white closed-toe heels. I grazed my hand over my dress, feeling the soft material. I wore a pristine short white graduation dress that stopped at my thighs, a silver waist belt pushing the material even more against my body.

I didn't wear much jewellery, just my everyday diamond ring and earrings. My eyes landed on the blue velvet box on the shelf. I picked it up, opening it up to see the diamonds shining brightly. Taking in a deep breath, I finally lifted it up since the first time I received it. I wonder if mom ever wore this?

I slid the necklace around my neck, my beach waved hair getting in the way as my neck leaned forward. I struggled with the hook, my fingers too big for me to freely move around and clasp the necklace together.

"Want some help?" Aiden's husky voice cut through the silence

"Yeah." I laughed, dropping my hands while grasping the necklace tightly

I tilted my neck back to its natural angle, groaning as I realised it had begun to hurt from hanging low. Aiden quickly closed the distance between us, his body just a couple of inches away from mine as I felt his cold breath on my neck.

"Necklace." He demanded, reaching out for it with his hand

I handed it to him, pushing my heavy hair to the side. He slid the diamond necklace around my neck, moving closer as he fiddled with the hook as well, his fingers working quickly as he tried to take up less of my time.

His cold hand would occasionally brush against the back of my neck, the sudden contact making me curl my back as I tried to get my heavy breathing under control. My eyes were stuck on him in the mirror that hung on the wall, his brows furrowed as he struggled hard to hook the necklace.

Only then did I realise how massive he was. His body towered over mine, his black hair well-kept. He was muscular and tall, and insanely attractive. His shaped body was always perfect. He looked handsome as hell whenever he wore black.

And my heart only fluttered more, my breath knocked out of me when our eyes locked, the heat rushing to my face. It was as if time had stood still, everything becoming frozen in place as we continued to gaze at each other. I didn't want this to end.

"There." His voice causing me to snap out of my thoughts, his eyes retreating back to his hands

"All done."

I smiled, nodding my head as I mumbled a low thanks. But, that small smile on my face dropped once I turned around, my eyes landing on Aiden as I took in the detail of his black, casual clothes.