Chapter 30 | The Captivating Friendship Of Us Two

Johnson Residence, Hilversum

***Paige Johnson POV***

I anxiously awaited Hermione to come down the glass stairs and join me in creating the bridge between The Aether and our world, yet, the delay and extended silence from her side only added more to the nervousness as I paced back and forth on my feet.

I rubbed the palm of my hands together, the cold night breeze blowing against my skin as it raised the hair on the back of my neck, sending a chill down my spine as the low sound of the bells chiming provided a sense of comfort which was barely noticeable.

I had pushed Hermione earlier to establish the bridge, so I couldn't blame her if she was having second thoughts. But I needed Hermione to move on from Jenna's death, and even though I couldn't speak for the others, I could see the dread on their faces, dripping like a waterfall as she refused to talk to us for the past few weeks.

As horrible and inhumane as it sounded, Jenna's manifestation was holding Hermione back from moving on, and if this continued, she would lose herself to a person who was only half alive. The amount of magic Hermione was casting on the spell was extraordinary, but also life-threatening. If I had known about the manifestation earlier, then I could've stopped her from going south.

I was going to help Hermione now. I had to. Aiden and Adriana were busy all the time, Dexter and his father were trying to work on Kristopher's problem ever since I told them about the accident, and I barely had any time left because of my studies. Hermione didn't have anyone helping her, until now.

"Hermione?" I called out, standing at the bottom of the stairs as I looked up at the bedroom door

"Please, come out. The meteor shower's about to start and I need it to channel my magic."

I was answered by the silence of the house that surrounded me since morning, the eerie darkness at the top of the stairs frightening me as the dark shadows seemed to be making faces, welcoming me in its darkness as the turmoil, pain and sorrow radiated off from Hermione and seeped into the rest of the house.

"Please?" I pleaded, taking a step on the glass stair

I climbed the set of steps, careful not to slip on the glass stairs as my feet made a low thud that bounced off the walls that were covered with multiple paintings, my hair bouncing by my sides as I stepped into the darkness in-front of Hermione's room.

"You have to let her go. She'd want you to."

My pleas had no effect on her as I heard absolutely nothing in her room, almost making me question my own thoughts on whether there was a second person living here or not. She was too quiet, though it was expected given the fact that she was probably having some sort of inner conflict at the moment.

"You know, Adriana came by a while ago? She gave me this box that the detective gave her. It's the keys to your house and other stuff." I spoke, placing my hand on the wooden door as my forehead pushed against the hardened material

"Apparently, Alexander is a good guy now. He wants to get revenge for Katherine and her death, and he needs your help."

I shut my eyes tight, my voice breaking her and there as I prayed like never before, prayed that Hermione would say something, anything that would make me hear her sweet voice again. But it never came, even after all the encouragement it never came, much to my disappointment.

I wasn't going to stop. There had to be something in that unexplainable mind of mine that I could use to get to Hermione, to form that connection with her. All Hermione had to do, was let me in, to take down her wall and open up her mind and heart to me so I could help her.