Chapter 35 | The Day Of Our Unfortunate Departure

***Aiden Sullivan POV***

I stood in front of the large mirror, running my long fingers through my hair as I pushed it back, my unnaturally pale face standing out from the lights of the closet. The jitters ran up and down my body, the clock ticking by as my fingers frantically worked on the tie that was refusing to pin down.

"Ready?" Dexter's deep voice boomed from behind, his muscular body leaning against the frame as his eyes examined my motion

"Almost." I quietly replied, trying to keep the nervousness hidden

His long legs closed the distance between us in a couple of strides, his baby blue eyes poking just a few inches above my broad shoulder, the coldness of his body proving he was indeed real as he stepped into the room.

"That bad, huh?" He asked, observing my clumsiness as the tie slipped between my fingers

I dropped my hands by my side, my loose tie hanging from my neck as I inevitably let out a sigh. I couldn't do this. I thought I could - become a CEO - but I wasn't prepared for it. I was too young, and I didn't have anyone to help me with it, not anyone who I could rely on.

"Why wouldn't it be? I'm 17, and about to be a CEO." I mumbled under my breath, my eyes fixated on Dexter as his hands inched towards my tie

He began fiddling with the blue piece of fabric, turning and twisting it as he occasionally sparked a small talk. But, I couldn't focus, not when this pitiful feeling arose from deep within my chest, one that bore the weight of bad news.

I couldn't tell if it was my mind making things up, or the fear of walking into that large office and signing those papers. I couldn't tell the difference. I needed my dad here with me right now, to help me with this. I needed his support. Instead, Dexter was replacing him.

"Who's been handling your business?" Dexter asked, snapping me out of my thoughts as his eyes remained on my tie

"My dad's friend. He took over the business after he died." I answered

"I just don't understand why my dad didn't write down my mom as next of kin."

"Who knows? Maybe it's because he was being cautious in case something happened to the both of them." Dexter spoke, lifting a brow

"It's something you also have to do; decide your next of kin. Do you know who it's going to be?"

I gulped, tightening my hands into fists as my eyes remained fixated on the mirror behind Dexter. The answer to Dexter's question was a solid no. Who was going to be my next of kin? I didn't have anyone, except Adriana.

I couldn't put Adriana down as my next of kin. Like Dexter said, maybe my dad was being cautious in case something happened to him and mum. In a way, I also had to do that. But, I couldn't choose anyone, especially not Adriana who already had enough on her back.

"I don't know." I answered, my voice soft

"Maybe Paige, or Hermione, or you."

His eyes shot up to meet my gaze, his brows furrowed as his lips were in a thin line. His silvery-white hair fell just over his blue eyes, his piercing gaze enough to send a chill run up my spine.

A wave of worry flooded across his face upon hearing my words, his long fingers coming to a halt against my tie as his hands hovered away from my chest, his chilly breath hitting the bottom of my chin as it woke me up.

"Right." He nodded his head

"Because Ana can't have kids. But, you do realise why vampires don't tend to go out a lot, much less own a major company or let their presence be known?"