8

liv stood in front of the school bathroom mirror, applying lip gloss and touching up her makeup. she accidentally started thinking about fezco in history class, and a tear slipped out and fucked up her mascara.

lexi was talking to rue about something a few sinks away from where liv was standing, but liv zoned lexi out. it's not that she didn't like the girl, but she couldn't help but resent her a little after knowing fezco was kind of interested.

"hey, rue rue. hey liv." cassie greeted, walking into the bathroom. liv looked up and gave cassie a smile.

"oh. hey, cass." rue said.

cass stood next to olivia, and liv took in what she was wearing. rue and liv exchanged questioning looks.

"wait, are you in the play?" rue asked. cassie gave her a look.

"what play?" she wondered. liv nodded.

"yeah, play?" she said.

"lexi's play." rue answered.

"what do you mean lexi's play?" cassie continued to question. at the mention of lexi, liv turned back to the mirror.

she listened in on their conversation about some play being called oklahoma, not really caring. her attention was grabbed again when maddy and kat walked into the bathroom.

"why the fuck would you audition for oklahoma?" maddy asked. liv turned around.

"who's going to oklahoma?" she wondered.

"no one's auditioning or going to oklahoma." cassie answered.

"then why the fuck do you look like your auditioning for oklahoma?" maddy asked. liv handed her the lipgloss she was using, and maddy started touching up her makeup as well.

"do i?" cassie said, worried.

"yes." kat answered without hesitation.

"has everyone read oklahoma but me?" rue thought out loud. liv shook her head.

"i've never read oklahoma." she said.

"oklahoma's not, like, a play you read." kat commented, only looking at rue.

liv and kat haven't spoken since liv said some unkind words to her in the school hallway last year. and, to be honest, neither of them really wanted to. kat was too scared and liv had bigger problems.

"rue, are you on drugs?" cassie asked, looking over. rue and liv made eye contact.

"yes." rue said, bluntly.

everyone turned to look at her. there was a mixture of "you relapsed?" and "wait, what?", but olivia just kept her mouth shut and crossed her arms over her chest.

"oh, i've just-nah. i've just been smoking a little bit of weed." rue explained. olivia let out a sigh and chuckled.

"wait, i don't understand. if you're not auditioning for oklahoma, then why are you dressed like that?" kat asked, changing the subject.