CHAPTER FOURTEEN

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

The day of the girls’ presentation dawned. Even though it was not to take place until late evening, Lady Susan was aflutter with anxiety most of the day, chivvying servants and running Eleanor ragged.

    Despite the harassment, Eleanor understood. It could be said that most of Lady Susan’s life thus far had been merely a prelude to this great moment when her offspring would be presented at Court and thus launched into Society.

    At nine o’clock that evening Lady Pike arrived in her carriage to take charge of the girls and assume her role as sponsor.

    There was a gathering in the drawing room ready to view the girls in all their glory before they set off. As well as Lady Susan and Lady Pike, Major Warburton was there as was his nephew, Jeffrey Warburton and of course, the girls’ father, Lord Birkett.

    Eleanor was to enter the room first and announce the twins to their family. She was much aware of Major Warburton as he stood near the fireplace. He had come up to town the day before, staying at his own town house, but was here this evening to support his sister and nieces.

    Eleanor was glad to see him. The excitement of his presence that she had known in Gloucestershire was igniting again, although she knew it was foolish and perhaps even wrong to feel the way she did, because nought but disappointment could ever come of it. 

    Eleanor made the announcement before the girls’ entrance.

    ‘May I present the new young debutants, Miss Cecilie Birkett and Miss Dorothea Birkett.’

    After a tense moment the girls entered. They looked extraordinarily lovely, wearing identical short-sleeved white evening dresses, with their trains held over their arms. Fine veils were arranged in their hair, attached to which were three tall white ostrich feathers. To complete the picture, they wore long white gloves.

    ‘Will we do, Mama?’ they asked in union.

    For an answer Lady Susan burst into tears.

    The girls’ were a vision of innocence and beauty, and Eleanor felt tears prick at her eyes too at the lovely sight.

    ‘I’m so proud of you both,’ Lady Susan managed to say.

    At that moment a footman entered to say that Lady Pike’s carriage was at the front door ready and waiting for them.

Presentations usually started around ten o’clock in the evening, and so there was a long wait for the girls’ return.

    The men had left earlier; Lord Birkett to visit his club and Ambrose and Jeffrey to attend dinner and party invitations. Of course, Lady Susan waited up as did Eleanor, to support her.

    The tension of waiting seemed to loosen Lady Susan’s tongue somewhat as they sat together in the drawing room and she was more forthcoming in family matters than perhaps she ought to be.

    ‘Ambrose is attending a dinner party given by that notorious widow, Mrs Vallentine,’ she confided. ‘It is high time he took a wife, but I am terribly afraid he might choose her.’

    So that is the identity of the mysterious Mrs V, Eleanor thought.

    ‘Why do you describe her as notorious?’ Eleanor ventured to ask.

    ‘My dear! She’s the talk of the town,’ Lady Susan said. ‘An adventuress if ever there was one. The names of too many gentlemen are linked to hers, and now she had Ambrose in her clutches.’