CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

As Mrs Possimer was shown into the presence of Mrs Sophie Vallentine she was momentarily taken aback at the beauty of the woman sitting in a chair near the fireplace.

    She was wearing an exquisite gown of pale green shantung, shot through with the colours of the rainbow. The gown was caught high under the bosom, as was the fashion, revealing much creamy skin. Her hair was not dressed but flowed around her shoulders in a cascade of curls and ringlets.

    She reminded Mrs Possimer of an exotic butterfly, but a butterfly with a sting, perhaps.

    Mrs Vallentine stared at her haughtily.

    ‘What is this nonsense about a vacancy for a housekeeper?’ she began. ‘I have no such requirement.’

    ‘Then why did you agree to see me?’ Mrs Possimer asked in a composed tone of voice. She was determined not to be ruffled or put out of countenance.

    ‘My maid told me that Mr Granville has sent you. I was curious.’

    ‘I lied,’ Mrs Possimer told her frankly. ‘Although Mr Granville is the reason I am here.’

    ‘I think you had better explain before you leave.’

    ‘I previously worked for Mr Granville,’ Mrs Possimer said. ‘I was a discreet and faithful servant and held him in high esteem.’

    Mrs Possimer paused. ‘I believe I will take a seat,’ she said firmly.

    Mrs Vallentine’s expression showed annoyance. ‘I have not given permission.’

    ‘Nevertheless...’

    Mrs Possimer took a chair opposite, composed herself and folded her hands in her lap. It was just as well to begin in the way she intended to continue.

    ‘I will ring for my maid,’ Mrs Vallentine said threateningly.

    ‘I would not,’ Mrs Possimer warned. ‘She might overhear something she should not.’

    ‘What do you mean?’

    ‘Mr Granville treated me shamefully,’ Mrs Possimer went on. ‘He accused me of gossiping about his business, especially the night that he was attacked. He dismissed me summarily. I was thrown out onto the streets; out of the home I had known for over ten years, with hardly a penny to sustain me.’

    ‘What has that to do with me?’

    ‘You will pay me recompense, Mrs Vallentine, for his wrong-doing,’ Mrs Possimer said confidently. ‘That is, you will if you want to keep your name out of the broadsheets.’

    Mrs Vallentine rose quickly to her feet. ‘That is an idle threat,’ she said brusquely. ‘There is no stain attached to my name.’

    ‘There is by association, and that is all the broadsheets need to make a scandal.’

    ‘You are talking nonsense,’ Mrs Vallentine said, but there was a detectable quiver in her voice. ‘Nothing can be said against me.’

    ‘High Society may question the suitability of a woman whose lover builds his wealth on prostitution,’ Mrs Possimer said triumphantly.

    ‘My lover?’

    ‘Mr Granville.’

    ‘Freddie! My lover!’ Mrs Vallentine gave a high pitched laugh, but there was still a note of unease in it.