CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE

LATER

‘Of course, my Georgiana has high hopes of Viscount Humphrey, son of the Duke of Loughborough,’ Lady Chardsworth said loudly to anyone who would listen. ‘He was so attentive at Almack’s last night.’

    ‘I hear he is subject to fits,’ Lady Pike said conversationally. ‘One does worry that that sort of thing would be passed on to the children.’

    Lady Chardsworth looked shaken. ‘I had not heard that,’ she said faintly.

    ‘It may be malicious gossip,’ Lady Susan said. ‘I had heard that Lady Grosmith’s daughter, Daphne, was suing for him. These old titles are getting very thin on the ground and some people have no scruples.’

    ‘I heard talk that Eleanor Wellesley and your brother Ambrose are to make a match of it,’ Lady Chardsworth said quickly as though to change the subject.

    ‘It is early days yet,’ Lady Susan said carefully. ‘I have found it wise not to listen to idle talk.’

    At that moment Ambrose Warburton entered the drawing room, and stood looking about him. The various young couples were seated around, absorbed in each other. The only absentees were Dorothea and Eleanor.

    ‘Ambrose dear,’ Lady Susan said. ‘Lady Pike and Lady Chardsworth are here visiting. Do come and pay your respects.’

    Ambrose strolled over to where they sat. He bowed deeply and respectfully to each lady and then turned to Lady Susan.

    ‘Eleanor is not present, I see,’ he said. ‘Where may I find her, do you know, dear sister?’

    Lady Susan hesitated a moment, ‘I believe she has retired to her room.’

    ‘What, at this time of the afternoon?’ He looked astonished. ‘I had better go and bring her down.’

    ‘No!’ Lady Susan stood up, her cheeks turning pink as she glanced at the ladies seated nearby, listening. ‘You will have your joke, Ambrose. The maid will fetch her directly. Do be patient.’

    Lady Susan rang for Prout and gave her instructions.

    ‘Eleanor is subject to headaches,’ she lied, smiling at her companions. ‘Sometimes the excitement of visitors taxes her.’

Eleanor was still in pensive thought when a knock sounded at her door and Mary the maid entered and dipped a knee.

    ‘If you please, Miss Wellesley, her ladyship says that Major Warburton is in the drawing room and wishes to see you.’

    ‘Oh, does he?’

    ‘Her ladyship also wishes you to know that Lady Pike and Lady Chardsworth are visiting.’

    ‘I see. Very well, Mary, I will be down directly. You may go.’

    Mary dipped a knee again and left closing the door gently behind her.

    Eleanor continued to sit, thinking deeply. An hour ago she had wished never to see Ambrose again, but plainly in the situation she found herself that was not possible at present.

    She would have to make an appearance in the drawing room. Lady Pike, who was a great and dear friend of Lady Susan, would think little of her refusal, but Lady Chardsworth was another matter. Gossip was that lady’s main entertainment.

    Taking a deep breath, Eleanor went downstairs and entered the drawing room. Immediately Ambrose rose from his seat and came to meet her.

    Her treacherous heart skipped a beat at the sight of his tall handsomeness, but she bid it to be stilled. She must put her love for him aside, and keep a cool head in the face of his blandishments.